SoBe ReSkin in an installation created for SXSW Interactive this year, utilising Flash to provide the public with an opportunity to “Virtually reskin yourself, then fool your friends”.
Few words from Dofl Y.H. Yun, Lead Developer on the project:
This project has couple of special meaning to me. Fist of all, I moved to NYC to do interactive installation jobs and this is the first project here. FB proposed clients installation projects since I joined and finally Pepsi accepted our proposal. Secondly, I learned how our work with simple idea makes people happy and then they make me happy again while staying in Austin for 5 days of SXSW Interactive. You might understand what I mean after looking at photos I took.
Here is a list of what Dofl did to add tattoos realism.
- Matching the quality of tattoo to user photo. Because the kiosk used a built-in low quality camera and the condition of space wasn’t perfect to take best quality photos so the quality of tattoo was reduced to match quality of them dynamically.
- Multiply Blend mode. It is basically used to overlap a tattoo to skin.
- Tattoo Opacity.
- Contour to skin. This part would be the most great part. The displacement map filter which is a Flash built in feature is mainly used to add skinning tattoo realism. The kiosk application reads pixel values, especially red channel this time, from user photos in runtime and performs a displacement effect on tattoos. By controlling amount of distortion, a tattoo can be not only overlapped as flat as a pancake but also mapped to skin based on user photos .
- Redness Opacity and Thickness.
- Transforming. This allows user to move, rotate, skew and scale a tattoo.
Try the DEMO here.
Dofl Y.H. Yun is a Senior Developer at Firstborn Multimedia, code artist and technical writer. More about Dofl can be found on his website.
Posted on: 05/05/2010
Posted in: Flash