Selected as a finalist at this years IGF (Independent Games Festival), Today I Die, a poem game by Daniel Benmergui is now available for the iPhone. Today I Die takes you on a journey with words to uncover to generate new meanings and resolve puzzles you find along the way. The game is not about winning but a narrative in the poem you uncover.
It’s about the daily choice of waking up in the morning.
No skill playing videogames is necessary! Playing this game can be a significant experience.
The music is by Hernán Rozenwasser (Night Raveler).
Developer: Atakama Labs Inc
- Poodle Invasion [iPhone, Games] Poodle Invasion is a fun and quirky little shooter for the iPhone. You fight your way against the horde of poodle's that have invaded the planet. As scary as this may sound, you don't have to worry much as you are well equipped including bling and fashionable items you get to accumulate during your heroic adventure. Tilt your iPhone to control the cat (???) or drop bombs to obliterate all poodles in near proximity. Sounds fun? Interestingly, the game was created using GameSalad, a game development framework which allows users to create games without programming a single line of code. You can build games using a drag-and-drop interface along with already included behavior system. There are a bunch of templates available including those for a 'Basic Platformer', "Shoot'em Up", pong style game and few more. To update the graphics you can just use those available and customise your own in an image editing app. Simple and straight forward. Of course, as you'd expect this is all quite limiting (without getting into code) but nevertheless if you have ideas for visual style that you want to explore this may be the quickest way to do it and get things up and running quickly. In the example of Poodle Invasion, you WILL find the game somewhat slow, gameplay limited and controls slightly odd. These are all most probably the limitations of the framework. But for testing purposes and being able to quickly illustrate your ideas not using a single line of code, this could be interesting for many. Check it out at: gamesalad.com Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Frederico […]
- 15 Great Apps for Your New iPad [iPad] As most of us already know and those who don’t are not from this planet, the iPad is launching in the US tomorrow. With all the excitement and hype we thought we'd collect the most exciting, well designed and impactful apps we came across for your new object of affection. Many of the reviews and hit lists we have seen are the usual suspects and although they fill the roles of getting things done, we at app.itize.us and CreativeApplications.Net like to look at things slightly different. This post is a showcase of some of the most inspiring, beautiful, challenging and most exciting apps out there at the time of the iPad release. Of course, we look forward to what is yet to come, as we are as excited about iPad as everyone else. Enjoy. Granimator™ A free-form, immersive touch and sound experience that allows you to become the artist using noted designers and artists special ‘design’ packs including signature elements, shapes and backgrounds to play with. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: Free Developer: ustwo™ Chirp Frame Turn your iPad into a simple and elegant twitter picture frame. there are 3 different stylized graphic themes to fit you and your own personal taste (black&white, western and nature). you can also respond to tweets in the app. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: work in progress Touch OSC TouchOSC is an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad application that lets you send and receive Open Sound Control messages over a Wi-Fi network using the UDP protocol. Whilst this does not mean much for many, the usage of this app has no limits. Say you are a musician and want to control your Pro-Tools from your iPad or what if you have built an arduino robot you want to control from your iPad, well this is the way to do it. This is a must in the area of custom hardware software using OSC networks. Check it out even if you have no use for it today you may tomorrow.. Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.5 Cost: $4.99 Developer: Hexler Raindrops for iPad Touch the screen and trigger pleasant musical sounds to your own beat. record your compositions and share with others online. you don't need any previous musical knowledge to enjoy this. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: Masayuki Akamatsu , Yusuke Kawabata , Junpei Wada C64 Paint XL This is THE paint program from 1984. a retro pixel art inspired app that lets you paint on a canvas up to 160 by 200 pixels with all the 16 colors of the classic 8-bit computer of the 1980s, the Commodore 64. It has both square pixels and non-square pixels to replicate the way the C64 and other 8-bit computers really looked on a TV screen. Platform: iPhone/iPad Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: Felt Tip Inc Thicket An audio-visual mix and manipulation of texture, movement, line and tone. by drawing on the screen with your fingers, you create dense, mesmerizing sonic and visual patterns within a space of warm, bright, rhythmic sound design and constantly evolving, bending, elegant scrawls. Platform: iPhone/iPad Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: Interval Studios Inc Kaleidescope X Pad Much more than just a traditional kaleidoscope, this app is a creative tool for producing beautiful moving mirrored images... its literally an interactive work of art. comes standard with all the features you would expect in a digital kaleidoscope, but adds an impressive collection of features incl. a STEREOSCOPIC 3-D mirror and the amazing IMAGE SYNTHESIZER which creates image variations on the fly. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Gritless Digital Zen Bound 2 Amazing graphics and sound set the atmosphere for this zen inspiring puzzle app. you need to wrap a length of rope around various sized and stylized wooden sculptures. takes full advantage of tilt and multi-touch so you will not only need to use your fingers to wrap and twist the shapes, but also tilt your iPad to solve the puzzles. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $7.99 Developer: Secret Exit Ltd The Elements: A Visual Exploration This is one of the most amazing digital experiences i have seen. not only an amazing resource to provide context to the periodic table, but, also takes full advantage of the tablet based interface of the iPad. over 500 examples of the chemical elements in virtual form and every one can be spun around a complete circle with the touch of your finger. you can even view them in stereo 3D using glasses available from the publisher. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $13.99 Developer: Element Collection Depict HD This app was recommended to me by my good friend lopetz at büro destruct. an amazing pixel art game which you draw a picture and others across the internet (via openfeint) try to guess the image or take part and guess yourself. a unique take on pictionary, but with pixels. fantasitic idea and addicting to play. this version for iPad takes it to a whole new level. Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: Makeshift Games Intellivision This one brings back memories of me playing intellivision at my friends house after school on his families walnut cabinet tv set. the app has a selection of vintage titles for you to take you back in time. the visual design of the app and its various menus is spot on, down to the paddle controller and the pixelated graphics of the games. def one to get for the nostalgic values alone. Platform: iPad only Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: VH1 and MTV Networks TiltShift Generator my favourite photo manipulation app on the face of the earth has now come to the iPad. they have totally reformatted the controls specially for the tablet. amazing photo manipulations to make your photos look like they are shots with miniatures, toy camera images and fake DSLR. just stunning results from this app. Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: Takayuki Fukatsu & Takuma Mori Noby Noby Boy a fantastic port of the recent iPhone release from Keita Takahashi to the iPad. takes full advantage of the new screen size and has some enhancements as well. you can now paint on the background and save them as well. also, the controls are made much larger and easy for smaller fingers (and kids). just too insane to explain, so go get it! Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: NAMCO BANDAI Games IQ mirror X This app is deceptively hard, you need to replicate the randomly created dot pattern displayed in the mirrored pattern below it. use your fingers to change the sizes of the spheres to match the ones above, but, its not that easy, you have a time limit as well. Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: Studio Loupe Ludo Board Game This board game app is a result of the evolution of the well known ancient game Ludo (Latin: I Play) that we all played as kids. the board game itself has a very simple concept so it is suitable for anyone from 4 to 99 years. you can play solo against the computer intelligence or mix computer vs human to add an extra dimension of challenge. the graphics are elegant and colorful and represent the original with a twist. Platform: iPad Only Version: 1.0 Cost: $3.99 Developer: SIS […]
- Brave Man [iPhone] Fourth in the series of TomTom (Poppy F) games, comes Brave Man, a new retro pixel art adventure in the style of already mentionedÂ Sweep Man, Giant Metal Robot andÂ Hotdog Panic. Brave Man picks up on the all famous 5-finger fillet, a game of knives and fingers also known as theÂ knife game. Interestingly, the game of knives was first seen inÂ Roman Polanski's 1962Â filmÂ Knife in the Water, not that the game by Poppy bares any relation but it is nevertheless a nerve racking adventure illustrated using Poppy's signature pixel art. The knife moves left to right and the task is to tap on the screen just as the knife is between the fingers. As you progress, the movement gets faster feeding panic into tapping rhythm. This is of course accompanied by the wonderful graphics and slightly bloody consequence of tapping too early or too late. As with the Hotdog Panic, online ranking system is included where you can compare your score to others'. My best score is 38 but I am sure I can do better (see filip). A wonderful new addition, as was with the previous games, collect them all! Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Mimeo [iPhone, Games] – Preview Shaun Inman has just posted details about the latest iPhone game he has been working on, named Mimeo. Having been awarded a grant to create a 16-bit game engine, his latest creations are far more ambitious than CAN's much loved Horror Vacui. Mimeo started as a Mario clone with a twist: instead of power-ups affecting the player, they affect the entire game world. The mimeo world consists of two 16-bit demiverses sharing 32-bits between them. When the evil Kleptopus King, an 8-bit octopus with an inferiority complex, discovers a portal into Mimeo’s realm and begins to syphon off its bits, Mimeo is sucked in and down-sampled to 2-bit. So begins Mimeo’s quest to restore balance to the demiverses. Shaun writes about his love for the pixel aesthetic: The aesthetics of Mimeo (and Horror Vacui before it) are not born solely from nostalgia. Good pixel art strikes the perfect balance between appreciable craftsmanship and the gestalt. A single pixel out of place, one too few or too many, ruins the illusion. There’s an unmuddied, economy of expression, the thankless result of the limitations of cartridge-based consoles. The story continues with Mimeo collecting carts to upscale himself and the game world and enables switching between acquired resolutions to solve platforming puzzles. Besides creating the scenario, programming and designing all the graphics Shaun is also composing and producing all the music. Shaun is aiming for 2010 holiday season release. In the meantime, enjoy few short demo videos Shaun uploaded to his Flickr and together with this longer progress report. You can follow the progress on Shaun's […]
- The Incident [iPhone, iPad, Games] We wrote about it back in April, Neven Mrgan’s + Matt Comi's Curious Incident is now available in the AppStore! A fast-paced, retro-style action game with run, dodge and jump your way to safety as an angry rain of just about everything in the world falls and builds a mountain of platforms for you to climb up, up… up to the source of it all: the cause of The Incident. THE INCIDENT is easy to pick up but hard to master. It's a totally new gameplay concept and it's perhaps TOO addictive. It's loaded with power-ups, power-downs (d'oh!) and collectables. Try to beat the game, then try to unlock all the achievements. No one said getting 500 coins would be easy. The incident is a universal app that runs on both iPhone and iPad. WHAT'S IN THE BOX: • Supercool 8-bit pixel art • Awesome chiptune soundtrack • 7 levels to explore and survive • Hundreds of unique objects, hundreds of ways to die • The Trophy Room, where you recall your adventures • The elusive "B-mode" Previously: Neven Mrgan’s Curious Incident [Games, iPhone, iPad] - Interview Platform: iPad/iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: Big Bucket […]
- Apple and Monster [iPhone, Games] Now, if you follow CAN you know we are very fond of Poppy's games. I am not sure there was one game we haven't written about (maybe) but we won't make an exception now. Apple and Monster is the latest game in the series of apps Poppy has been creating. The latest creationÂ includes a simple task; to keep the girl as high as possible.Â The girl bounces on the line that you draw by a simple swipe.Â If the girl falls out of screen, you loose. Of course, once again game adopts already familiar TomTom (Poppy F) signature styleÂ retro pixel art already seen inÂ Brave Man (my fav),Â Sweep Man, Giant Metal Robot and Hotdog Panic. As with the Brave Man, online ranking system is included where you can compare your score to others'.Â A wonderful new addition, as were all the previous games. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Piyo Blocks [iPhone] Somewhat inspired byÂ bejeweled, Piyo Blocks in a game by Big Pixel Studios where the task is to swap adjacent Piyo Blocks to match 3 or more of the same kind to capture them. Adopting wonderful pixel art style graphics with subtle but very effective animations and although quite similar toÂ bejeweled it nevertheless feels like a new experience. In other words if you are fan and love pixel art, it's the one for you. Piyo Blocks also comes in a Lite version which will only allow you to play time attack mode. The full version also includes piyo (capture the target number of Piyos to level up) and hyaku (capture 99 or more of any Piyos to level up)Â modes as well as rankÂ list. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Big Pixel […]
- AskNumen [iPhone] AskNumen an application for the iPhone based on the web art projectÂ nudemessenger.com. The project created back in 2003 is a flash application allowing you to arrange andÂ organizeÂ and animate nudemen using the settings available. Nudemen was inspired by internet pornography taking into account that 12% of total websites are pornographic, most of them showing female nudity and targeted towards men. iPhone app is the port of the original project adopting slightly different function in the form of a screensaver and a tool to answer questions you may have.Â Simply say the question, and tap on the dialog bubble. They will give you a "YES" or "NO" with some jogging exercise. Interestingly, in a fun way, because iPhone design guidelines the dear Nudemen are actually dressed therefore are Numen. When the application launches, it will only have one Numen. As you rotate and shake the device, more of them might will come out. Put your device flat on the table, your Numen will wander around freely. Simple yet playful iPhone app that might come in quite useful when you are indecisive. Numen may be able to help. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
Posted on: 03/11/2010
- Senior Digital Designer at CLEVER°FRANKE
- Interaction Designer at Carlo Ratti Associati
- Creative Technologist at Deeplocal
- HTML / CSS Developer at Resn
- Climate Service Data Visualiser at FutureEverything
- Web Developer at &Associates
- Creative Technologist at Rewind FX
- Coder to collaborate with Agnes Chavez
- Data Scientist at Seed Scientific
- Data Engineer at Seed Scientific
- Design Technologist at Seed Scientific
- Creative Technologist, The ZOO at Google