A second game from the creator of Sweep Man,Â TomTom (Poppy F) has just been releasedÂ Giant Metal Robot. Adopting yet again gorgeous, retro, pixel art-y style, this time around it isÂ â€˜LisaLisaâ€™ and her dog â€˜Pinkieâ€™ who are attacked by wicked skeletons. Â Your job is to crush every skeletons within the time limit but being careful not to killÂ â€˜LisaLisaâ€™ or â€˜Pinkieâ€™ or throw them off the roof.
What is wonderful in the games byÂ TomTom is that they are simple creations where most effort has been put into the visual elements. Each game is a form of a comic strip, a simple idea that evolved into an interactive game. It’s hard to call these just games as in their own right they are very personal exploratory creations. It is best to think of them as designer toys, keychains, mini apps to enrich your iPhone app collection. Collect them all and you win – pure joy.
See movie below for gameplay.
- Hotdog Panic [iPhone] I am a big fan of Poppy's iPhoneÂ games and yesterday saw a release of Â Hotdog Panic, a new game adopting signature style of game collectables byÂ TomTom (Poppy F). Already mentioned hereÂ Sweep Man andÂ Giant Metal Robot,Â Hotdog Panic is aboutÂ Mr. Hotdog who loves hot dogs, but hates mustard. Your task is a simple one,Â throw away the hot dog that served with mustard source. Simple and fun. I should also mention that Hotdog Panic is the first ofÂ Poppy's iPhoneÂ gamesÂ that includes online ranking system. A nice addition which I hope will be added to other games too. What is wonderful in the games by TomTom is that they are simple creations where most effort has been put into the visual elements. Each game is a form of a comic strip, a simple idea that evolved into an interactive game. It's hard to call these just games as in their own right they are very personal exploratory creations. It is best to think of them as designer toys, keychains, mini apps to enrich your iPhone app collection. Collect them all and you win - pure joy. AboutÂ Â Giant Metal Robot Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Brave Man [iPhone] Fourth in the series of TomTom (Poppy F) games, comes Brave Man, a new retro pixel art adventure in the style of already mentionedÂ Sweep Man, Giant Metal Robot andÂ Hotdog Panic. Brave Man picks up on the all famous 5-finger fillet, a game of knives and fingers also known as theÂ knife game. Interestingly, the game of knives was first seen inÂ Roman Polanski's 1962Â filmÂ Knife in the Water, not that the game by Poppy bares any relation but it is nevertheless a nerve racking adventure illustrated using Poppy's signature pixel art. The knife moves left to right and the task is to tap on the screen just as the knife is between the fingers. As you progress, the movement gets faster feeding panic into tapping rhythm. This is of course accompanied by the wonderful graphics and slightly bloody consequence of tapping too early or too late. As with the Hotdog Panic, online ranking system is included where you can compare your score to others'. My best score is 38 but I am sure I can do better (see filip). A wonderful new addition, as was with the previous games, collect them all! Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Apple and Monster [iPhone, Games] Now, if you follow CAN you know we are very fond of Poppy's games. I am not sure there was one game we haven't written about (maybe) but we won't make an exception now. Apple and Monster is the latest game in the series of apps Poppy has been creating. The latest creationÂ includes a simple task; to keep the girl as high as possible.Â The girl bounces on the line that you draw by a simple swipe.Â If the girl falls out of screen, you loose. Of course, once again game adopts already familiar TomTom (Poppy F) signature styleÂ retro pixel art already seen inÂ Brave Man (my fav),Â Sweep Man, Giant Metal Robot and Hotdog Panic. As with the Brave Man, online ranking system is included where you can compare your score to others'.Â A wonderful new addition, as were all the previous games. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Sweep Man [iPhone] AÂ gorgeous, retro, pixel art-yÂ Sweep Man byÂ TomTom (Poppy F) has just been released in the AppStore. The game is pretty simple and you use tilt controls to move your character left, right and up (jump). What is fantastic are the very cool retro graphics. From menus, character to wonderful instructions/tips, everything has been designed with pixel art in mind. About: â€¢ Sweep all dirt in the time limit. â€¢ If you touch the dog or any other animal you die. â€¢ You can temporarily knock out animals by dropping the bone on them. If you are a fan of retro gaming and love pixel art, this one is for you. See video below for demo. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Piyo Blocks [iPhone] Somewhat inspired byÂ bejeweled, Piyo Blocks in a game by Big Pixel Studios where the task is to swap adjacent Piyo Blocks to match 3 or more of the same kind to capture them. Adopting wonderful pixel art style graphics with subtle but very effective animations and although quite similar toÂ bejeweled it nevertheless feels like a new experience. In other words if you are fan and love pixel art, it's the one for you. Piyo Blocks also comes in a Lite version which will only allow you to play time attack mode. The full version also includes piyo (capture the target number of Piyos to level up) and hyaku (capture 99 or more of any Piyos to level up)Â modes as well as rankÂ list. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Big Pixel […]
- BLOCLOCK [iPhone, Games] A third game from the creator ofÂ Sweep Man andÂ Giant Metal Robot, Â TomTom (Poppy F) has just releasedÂ BLOCLOCK. Inspired by Breakout,Â BLOCLOCK is an interactive clock that acts like a screensaver and game when you pick it up. Watch the game play itself or if you fancy a bit of Breakout, pick it up, tap it and you have the controls, that is - tilt controls. A delightful take on the clock app. Something new and refreshing and of you are a fan of retro gaming, this one is for you. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- lilt line [iPhone, Games] Available in the AppStore today is the 'hack'n'slash dubstep vehicle synthesis simulation action' game by Gordon Midwood aka 'differentcloth'. Somewhat a graphic exploration, lilt line is about retro-future game reminiscent of Tron with a modern kick to it. Skewed interface, retro colours and wonderful music should please most old skool gamers. Included are ten levels plus the tutorial. Music in the game is provided by 16bit. 'a retro rhythm racing beat 'em up action game with a dubstep flavor' Simply wonderful. Get it! Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer: different […]
- Iso [iPhone, Games] Iso is the latest addition to the AppStore in the style of Tetris games. Taking the concept few steps further and adopting much loved pixel style graphics,Â Iso is aÂ gorgeousÂ falling blocks game. The task is to match 3 colours down, across or diagonally for points. You control the falling pieces by touching anywhere on the screen. To move the piece, drag Left or Right. Tapping the screen rotates the piece colours. Matching pieces causes other to fall - at times creating a chain reaction. The game does not speed up over time but it becomes more difficult where you may have to match up to 8 different colors vertically, horizontally or diagonally. Speed pieces into place or cause chain reactions for more points. The game also includes automatic save so you can exit any time without loosing progress. In addition, coming soon is the online leader-board where you will be able to compare your score with other players. See the movie below showing some very early levels. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer:Â Jacob […]
- Senior Digital Designer at CLEVER°FRANKE
- Interaction Designer at Carlo Ratti Associati
- Creative Technologist at Deeplocal
- HTML / CSS Developer at Resn
- Climate Service Data Visualiser at FutureEverything
- Web Developer at &Associates
- Creative Technologist at Rewind FX
- Coder to collaborate with Agnes Chavez
- Data Scientist at Seed Scientific
- Data Engineer at Seed Scientific
- Design Technologist at Seed Scientific
- Creative Technologist, The ZOO at Google