Originally released as a Flash-based game back in 2007, The Science Museum of London has just released an iPhone version of it’s popular Launchball puzzle game. Whilst the Flash version is still playable online, the iPhone version comes with 6 tutorial levels and 36 real levels, as well as a fully featured level editor with ability to create your own levels and download the others’ creations. Using over 20 active blocks (including fans, magnets and Tesla Coils) guide your ball through a series of fiendish challenges, and learn some science on the way.
A very impressive list of features included:
-A bumper collection of classic levels
Slide, bounce and spring your way through over 30 different challenges.
-Fully equipped Level Editor
Create your own levels and then upload them to challenge other mortals. Levels can be rated by users – can you build a 5 star legend?
-Endless playability, Endless challenges
Search and download hundreds of user created levels for free.
-Dynamic Touch Screen Control
Manipulate magnets, fans and Tesla Coils with your finger tips to create the ultimate challenge.
Enjoy an ambient soundtrack.
-Tweet about your successes
Launchball is linked into Twitter so you can let everyone know about your latest achievements or level creations.
Developer: Bright AI Ltd.
- Unify [iPhone, Games] – Preview Unify is a new multi-touch block dropping puzzle game for the iPhone from Zach Gage. If you are unfamiliar with Zach, he created both SynthPond and Face It (currently in development), we wrote about weeks back. This time around, inspired by Tetris, Zach is bringing a new, clever and absolutely wonderful revamped version of the good old classic. Unify is a colourful, fun and rich take on the now popular falling blocks style games.Â Instead of controlling a single block dropping from the top towards the bottom, players control two blocks, one coming in from each side, simultaneously.Â As you progress, the colors and music evolve and the game becomes faster and more colourful. You swipe fingers to push the blocks together, tap to rotate. The more you play the more the game becomes almost natural and intuitive play of shapes, pattern and colours. Social aspect is included, ie rankings, achievements thanks toÂ Open Feint.Â I am also being told by Zach that there is a surprise at level 30. I , unfortunately, managed to get to 22 only. Apparently, the backgrounds change radically which definitely I want to see. The sounds have been created by Carlos Hernandez which feed the gameplay with the ever so loved 8-bit sounds (some sampled from sonic the hedgehog)Â and 80's pop beats. Interestingly, Unify has been built using openFrameworks and ofxiPhone, add-on that allows artists to easily create works for the iPhone in c++. Zach worked with Memo Akten, Lee Byron, Damian Stewart, Zach Lieberman, Theo Watson and Arturo Castro to create this add on.Unify is currently under review by Apple and should be is now available in the AppStore within two weeks or so. Zach Gage has been making art since 2001, constantly shifting from one medium to the next in an effort to always be able to use the best tool to accomplish whatever ideas he has. Driven to be constantly creative, Gage's work spans a vast array of topics, with the only central theme being the need to promote thinking in the viewer. He is currently working on few other iPhone games as well as Rhonda 3D drawing tool originally created by Amit Pitaru and James Paterson and now joined by Zach and Zach Lieberman. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 (introductory price) Developer: Zach […]
- Bitmask [iPhone] Is Sudoku too much work for you and a bit of a bore? Say hello toÂ Bitmask, a Soduku inspired puzzle where numbers are replaced with the task of fixing theÂ computer by unmasking the bits. Almost a pattern makingÂ exercise, the catch is that you may not repeat any three-bit pattern within a row or column. You switch bits by adjusting the switches. Some bits are fixed, others allow changes, as the numbers do in Sudoku. Bitmask captures the appeal and depth of Sudoku while eliminating its more tedious elements (i.e. the need to write possible answers in the margins). Three difficulty settings make the game challenging for players of various skill levels. A fun little game for any retro-geek. Watch the flashing leds as you try to discover better tactics to beat your best time. At times you may get lucky but sometimes you may need to work back to ensure that the combinations of bits work in both rows and columns. I have completed the game on easy but can see hard levels being a lot more challenging as you have more empty bits to fill. Interestingly, the game has been designed by Giuoco Piano, a name which also refers toÂ the oldest recorded opening in chess (wikipedia) but I don't think there is any relation, is there? Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $2.99 Developer:Â Giuoco […]
- We Sliders [iPhone] Created by We Choose Fun, We Sliders is a simple puzzle game where the task is to arrange sliders into a vertical line. The game starts with only few rows and as you progress the number of rows increases. Each row is connected to a different row, ie dragging one to the left with make other move right. This does not work vice versa, meaning that sliders are not inter-connected. Your task is to find the perfect combination resulting in a continuos vertical alignment. This is all made extra wonderful by the colour of the sliders and the background which changes as you move the sliders. Absolutely lovely. This is an unconventional game with an unconventional interface. Learning how to use it is part of the game, that's what you need to know. See also Prelock for iPhone (itunes link) Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: We Choose […]
- muBlip [Sound, iPhone, Games] Finalist in this years 2010 Independent Games Festival Mobile Awards, muBlip is a rhythm & shapes game memory game created by PARA9 (Tran-Quan Luong, Alexandre Grégoire and Mathieu Guindon) . The core gameplay is simple: learn multi-touch patterns then replay them as accurately as possible. The visual patterns of the game follow the rhythm of the song, so listening carefully to the music is important (headphones recommended) and timing is key. Each blip is represented as a distinctive shape, producing a distinctive sound which you will learn to recognise. Features - Play 10 great levels with original music by para9 - Choose between casual and hardcore mode - Learn the basics via a quick tutorial - Attempt advanced levels that include multi-touch gestures Whilst the music generated is somewhat on the 'popish' side, the actual gameplay is quite enjoyable. Not like our much loved Lilt Line but another game that together with Auditorium which make our top music inspired games for the iPhone. Check it out.. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: […]
- Chromixa [iPhone, Games] Chromixa is a new and unique colour-blending puzzle game for the iPhone and iPod touch. The task is to arrange shapes of light to complete designed puzzles. Based on the colours found within white light; red, green and blue (RGB) combine to create new colours as shapes overlap. Like a jigsaw of light, your goal is to arrange the shapes to fill an outline with a single colour. As you complete puzzles, the points you earn can be used to unlock fun arcade-style mini games. Features: - 48 classic puzzles - 3 arcade-style mini games to unlock and play - Animated introduction tutorial - Simple one finger controls - Easy to pick up - Original music soundtrack by Stian Stark - Solve puzzles in any order, with no time limit - Quick puzzle reset - Play your own music A fun, all around puzzle game that should keep you busy for hours. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $1.99 Developer: Simon […]
- Colorbind [iPhone, Games] From the creator of Monospace (itunes link) - Daniel Lutz, comes a new iPhone/iPod Touch game called Colorbind. The app was submitted to Apple yesterday and by recent estimations it should be Now available in the AppStore! within a day or two. Whilst I have been slightly sceptical of Monospace, adopting somewhat flat but then soft shaded graphics, interesting nevertheless, Colorbind shows polish hard to find in the AppStore lately. A refreshingly looking puzzle game taking on ribbon concept with a simple task to weave it accross the points of the same colour. This of course becomes more challenging as you progress through the levels where you need to guide multiple ribbons over one another. See video for gameplay. Features: – 84 Levels: Easy, medium, hard. And a tutorial. – Achievements: 10 additional challenges. – Statistics: Keep track of your game. – Listen to your own music while playing. Colorbind - game page (Thanks Daniel!) Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Daniel […]
- Simon Faithfull’s Limbo [iPhone] Limbo presents and delivers live digital drawings by the artist Simon Faithfull. Wandering the world over the last 10 years, Faithfull has made hundreds of digital drawings using a Palm Pilot or iPhone that record his presence in a particular place, at a particular moment, somewhere on the surface of the planet. To date, over 500 observational sketches record what he saw in each of these places, from the streets of east London to the remote landscape of Antarctica and back again. Limbo gives you access to all of these images, and sends you new drawings the moment that they are made and in addition you can find out how close you are to the latest one made, it's exact locations. When the new drawing is available you will receive push notification. Limbo is part of an ongoing series of web-based artworks commissioned by Film and Video Umbrella. The project is supported by Arts Council England, Cuttlefish, and ArtSway, where Simon Faithfull is an Associate artist. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: Free Developer: Cuttlefish Multimedia /found via […]
- MinMe [iPhone, Games] Created as part of last month's Experimental Gameplay Project, Chaim Gingold's MinMe is a response to the theme "bare minimum". Made in 1.5 days,Â MinMe is a clean, minimal puzzler with 10 levels. The former Spore developer notes that if enough people like and download this game, heâ€™ll happily expand it. Clean, fun, free, engaging with some pretty awesome screen transitions and sounds, I am left wanting more! Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: Free Developer: Chaim Gingold (via […]
Posted on: 30/11/2009
- WebGL/3D Creative Prototyping Devs at TheSupply
- Freelance Interactive Producers at Psyop
- Senior Digital Designer at CLEVER°FRANKE
- Interaction Designer at Carlo Ratti Associati
- Creative Technologist at Deeplocal
- Jr. / Sr. Software Developer at Minivegas
- Web Developer at Minivegas
- Digital Producer at Minivegas
- 3D Technologist at INDG
- Creative Director at INDG
- Lead Developer at INDG
- Web Developer at &Associates