Released only few days ago for $0.99, now Free, Grid Pattern Clock in a new addition to the AppStore adding to the ever expanding collection of clocks for the iPhone.
If you read our post aboutÂ 1pxClock in January then you would be already familiar with our thoughts about clocks on the iPhone. Here is a litte excerpt anyhow:
...none of the clock apps fulfil the purpose we expect from them so the way we should look at this is by analysing which app gives us most aesthetic pleasure, ie which one looks best regardless of whether itâ€™s actually useful. Think of it as a companion, something that gives purpose to visualising time on the iPhone…more
This brings us to the title of this post and subject in question. Similar toÂ 1pxClock,Â Grid Pattern Clock is a creative and different take on how we think about time. Not necessarily representative of it, its a graphicalÂ exerciseÂ exploring the idea of building time. It’s wonderful watching blocks build up as timeÂ passes.
Grid Pattern Clock is also very similar to the way hard drive space has been represented. Have a look at these apps if you like the idea of looking at files on your hard drive in a slightly more graphical way Mac / PC.
I thought I should also mention Mondrian but I think that’s aÂ givenÂ =]
Bored with tons of digital clocks?Â Try this cool and perfectly simple app!
Download while it’s free.
Cost: $0.99 (Currently Free)
Developer:Â Han & the 5th Team
- It’s About Time – Volume 1 [iPhone] With the incredible number of apps appearing in the AppStore daily, there is a number of very inspiring clock apps out there but finding them can be quite tricky. Mentioning each and every one in a single post on CAN might be an overkill, so we decided to collect them in a special post named "It's About Time". The clock apps have a special place in CAN's heart. This is not from the usability point of view as we all know iPhone has a perfectly good clock app included. Time is a concept easily understood and eagerly visualised amongst artists. The collection of apps below show not only how time can be visualized but also the sheer imagination that exists out there. Of course, if you feel there are some that deserve a mention in the volume 2, please drop us a line using the contact form. If you missed previous clock apps mentioned on CAN, you can see them all here. world+clock Brought to you by 8casette, world+clock is a clock application that can display times from up to eight countries. You can select from over 150 cities, clean, easy-to-read analog time display and included are 6 clock designs. Price: $0.99 Stereo Clock Created by nekorl, stereo clock brings the much loved stereogram to your iPhone. The clocks included are both analog and digital. Focus beyond the surface of the iPhone to see them move with time. Price: $1.99 U-CLOCK U-CLOCK is a clock app where time is visualized as bars moving across the screen. Choose either abstract mode or digitally augmented mode, customise different bar colors, set multiple alarm clock times and different alarm sounds. See video here. Price: $0.99 TextClock Clock App for iPhone by Ryo Ueda, an artist from Sapporo, Japan, developed by Kenichi Onodera. The app consists of only alphabets withour Arabic numeric, inspired by the electrical scoreboard in airports. From the top, it is the hour, the minute, and the seconds , respectively and these change in realtime. Price: Free VCA In addition to being a beautiful clock, VCA is a voice controlled clock allowing you to turn the alarm clock off with just your voice. The app includes snooze function and Wake Up Call – ability to call a nominated number on Alarm or after first snooze. Price: $0.99 365 Alarm Clock Created to promote New Balance Athletic Shoes, 365 Alarm clock includes extremley cool realtime visualization graphics of wake up calls of people around the world. You can see who is asleep and who's awake, who woke up on time today and who didn't, over sleepers, information about your wake up patterns and when the rest of the world tends to wake up. All of this of course if they are using the app. Price: Free Nib Clock NibClock is a beautiful clock with customizable animated icons for the tip of the second hand. Once it’s chosen, the icon keeps travelling around. Some icons move sedately. Others move violently or even grotesquely. Included are 30 icons for the second hand (Most are animated.) and 3 types of movement (Normal, Abrupt, Smooth). See also the app site. Price: $0.99 It's a Clock In a world obsessed by accuracy, human beings are the weakest link. We've invented machines that are more precise than we can relate to. It's a Clock attempts to humanise the measurement of time by providing us with a scale more suited to the realities of life. Instead of giving you the exact time, the app says "It's nearly eight thirty." Wonderfully simple. See also the app site for more info. Price: $0.99 Orb Clock Desiged by HMDT, Orb Clock reprensets time by the fluid circles which drift on the surface of the clock and generate unexpected shapes as the time goes on. For more screens, see the app site. Price: $1.99 click.clock click.clock includes iPod-control allowing you to play music while the beautiful clock shows time on your desk. If you are they type that listens to music while at work with your iPhone in the dock, this one might be the right for you. White version is also available. Price: […]
- X Clock 1.0 [iPhone] BeautifullyÂ designedÂ X Clock 1.0 is now available in AppStore.Â The clock can be set in Analog, Digital or Textual mode. It supports both horizontal and vertical position of the iPhone. In addition the appÂ overrides the iphone's sleep mode so it canÂ trulyÂ become your bedside clock replacement (can be changed easily under options where the sleep mode can be turned OFF or ON) There are few more clock apps out there for a very similar price (Digital Clock,Â Â Flip ClockÂ andÂ more) but I would say this is probably the best looking one and it offers extra features). Should there be an update, i wouldÂ definitelyÂ like to see "set sleep time" and "set wake time" feature so your clock is off when you are sleeping and awake around the time when you will need it. Description: Clock application turns your iphone into a clock which can be easily read from a distance during day or night. The application has a nice animated background which will make you feel relaxed in a cosmos atmosphere. There is an option to turn the animated background off if desired. Platform: iPhone Cost:Â $0.99 Developer:Â Dava ConsultingÂ Download [xrr […]
- Clock01 – 06 [iPhone] Rhizomatiks, an interactive, web and graphic design agency based in Tokyo, have just released a set of 6 clock applications for the iPhone called the "Clock series" with each app exploring graphic representation of time and utilizing iPhone's accelerometer. Each app is unique and fun in it's own right, exploring how the time could be shown and how you may interact with various aspects of the visualization of time. All six apps are Free and available in the AppStore now. Created withÂ openFrameworks For more great clock apps, see here. Clock06 App Store ..is the latest addition. The app shows 6 number elements hanging on strings which is affected by some form of gravitational force. As you rotate the screen, the letters bounce around. You can also touch the strings which would again cause them to contract and further affect the numbers. (my favorite) Clock05 App Store ...is a 5 rotation slider where numbers are oriented towards how you are holding the iphone. As you rotate the iphone, the numbers change orientation. Clock04 App Store ..shows three circles populated by small black circles. Bacteria like scenario where each cluster behaves somewhat different. Similar to clock03, numbers change orientation as you rotate the screen. Clock03 App Store ..shows sliding lines of numbers at 60 degree angle. Almost adopting pixel art graphics, each number is shown using a different colour. Clock02 App Store ..another play of numbers, each digit is piled on top of another with the seconds sliding across the screen. As the minute expires, seconds are refreshed in the spring like effect. Clock01 App Store ..Lines of numbers angled at 45 degrees slide right to left with the actual time shown in shades of red. All other numbers are displayed in shades of grey. Clock01 - 06 [iPhone] from CreativeApplications.Net on […]
- D0TS:Echoplex [iPhone] D0TS is a basic music sequencer for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. As you create a matrix of "dots", the loop triggers drum beats. The D0TS:Echoplex edition is a subset of D0TS, designed to let you perform the Nine Inch Nails song "Echoplex". During the "Lights In The Sky" tour, the band used to play this song using a giant sequencer at the background of the stage. D0TS:Echoplex gives you the same visuals and sounds, so you can easily recreate the drum line, right in your hand. Feel free to use this application as a music instrument to play the song live by your-self or with your band. You can also trigger the playback for the guitar, the bass, and the vocals, so you don't need any other instrument to make it sounds great. In addition to 64 dots (2 tracks) to compose the entire drum beat, there is also playback samples for the guitar, the bass and the vocals. A real must for any NIN fan. For more information and how to useÂ see the website website. If you are looking for a PC software, see "Echoplex Drum Simulator". For more dot sequencers/tonematrix, check out Melodica (itunes link). D0TS:Echoplex demo from Terenn on Vimeo. Platform: iPhone Version: 1.1 Cost: Free Developer:Â Studio […]
- Clock11+12 [iPhone] Rhizomatiks continue to expand their free Clock.app offering in the AppStore with the latest addition of Clock11 and Clock12. Appropriately themed and released right on time, Clock 12 shows time from the falling snow. Clock11 is a collection of spinning discs each one showing hours, minutes and seconds. Video below shows clocks 1-6. All the clocks were made using openFrameworks. See the full collection here. Read about Clocks 1-6 on CAN. Clock11 Clock12 […]
- Circlo [iPhone, iPad, Sound] Circlo is an experimental clock with generative ambient music. The soundtrack by Hannu Kuosmanen changes depending on what time of day it is while the circles on the screen pulsate gently. The music is at its calmest around 1 am/pm, and gets more intense until the clock strikes 1 again. Created without any external gfx frameworks or even images, it's all UIKit, Core Graphics, and Core Animation. CocosDenshion was used for playing audio... Design and programming by Johan Halin. Music by Hannu Kuosmanen. Platform: iPhone/iPad (Universal) Version: 1.0 Cost: […]
- Weather Monitor [iPhone] Somewhat retro / led / road sign inspired + quite convenient clock app for the iPhone that displays time, temperature and current weather. Also include are some pretty sweet screen rotation transitions as you spin your device to reveal different time and weather compositions. Features: - Displays temperature, time and current weather - Time format 12/24 - Landscape and portrait mode - Auto-detect your location - Turn off / turn on screen lock - Disabling / enabling the auto-update - Temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit Platform: iPhone Version: 1.0 Cost: $0.99 Developer: Alexandr Balyberdin For more awesome clock apps on CAN see […]
- Color Time [iPhone] Adding to the list of clock apps on the iPhone we love, comesÂ Color Time, a representation of time using colour. A word from the developer: Zeitgeist to the very second. What distinguishes our culture today, is the development of an ever more precise sense of time, and a tendency to organize our whole lives on an exact schedule. The clock as a time machine has become a decisive machine in our civilization. The clock dictates the time â€“ and not the reverse. We no longer eat just when we are hungry or when we have the time or inclination. We eat at 8 am on the dot, at 12 noon and 7 pm. On a chronometer time is shown by hands and numerals. On the Color Time clock: Its face is not a dial but a color time circle, over which a black disk revolves with a piece cut out as large as a color segment. The disk revolves with the speed of one color area per hour, creating a smooth transition. The disk cut out indicates the time. If, for example, this stands on yellow, it is 12 noon. With increasing color of the next segment being exposed the nearer time gets to the next hour. Color Time clock switches to gray mode when it's night andÂ calculates the amount of days youâ€™ve been alive (based on your date of birth). Get the ColorTime for FREE for 30 days untilÂ April 20th.Â Normal Price: $4.99 Platform: iPhone Version: 1.1 Cost: $4.99 (Currently Free) Developer:Â airbit […]
Posted on: 20/03/2009
Posted in: iPhone
- Interaction Designer at Carlo Ratti Associati
- Creative Technologist at Deeplocal
- HTML / CSS Developer at Resn
- Climate Service Data Visualiser at FutureEverything
- Creative Technologist at Rewind FX
- Coder to collaborate with Agnes Chavez
- Data Scientist at Seed Scientific
- Data Engineer at Seed Scientific
- Design Technologist at Seed Scientific
- Creative Technologist, The ZOO at Google
- Web Designer and Developer at the School of Visual Arts