Company: Technology Will Save Us
Location: London, UK
We’re a small team that likes to make big things happen. Last year we built a digital learning platform that brought together all of our products, together with a desktop app and a coding interface for kids.
This year our plan is to grow the platform community and continue to create new products and experiences. This is more than just a coding role. We expect you to join us in working out what we build and how we do it, to join us brainstorm, research, prototype and test. We need to solve some very hard problems, together.
TECHNOLOGY WILL SAVE US
Technology Will Save Us is an award-winning, innovative, technology and product business based in the vibrant area of East London. We create make-it-yourself kits and digital tools that help kids all over the world to make, play, code and invent using technology. We started in 2012, packing kits on a kitchen table and have now sold over 85,000 kits in 97 countries! Our kits are in the MoMA in New York and the Design Museum in London. We’ve collaborated with Google, Code Club, The Prince’s Trust, and most recently with ARM, Microsoft and Samsung to create the BBC micro:bit—a microcontroller designed for children and given to all year seven students in the UK.
Our studio houses a team of 25 designers, engineers, marketing gurus, educators, content producers, production specialists, support reps, financiers and sales people. We’d love for you to join us in building the most accessible and entertaining brand for the maker generation.
We’re looking for a front-end web developer excited about the opportunity to build experiences that delight both kids and parents. This is a great opportunity to have a direct impact on the way people—both young and old—learn using technology.
As the only front-end focused role in the team, we’re looking for a person interested in:
– Building engaging, easy-to-use interfaces that feel natural and empower users
– Owning the relationship between the dev and design teams
– Making sure our user interfaces work correctly on all major desktop and mobile platforms
– Helping build new digital products
– Continuing to support and develop new features for existing products
– Helping define the technology that will drive our growth
– Contributing to building a quality code base
– Learning, sharing and challenging the rest of the team—we are always looking to improve our processes, practices and technologies
– Contribute to brainstorms, research, prototyping and testing
We’ll also count on you to be comfortable with and support back-end work.
For your reference, these are some of the technologies we currently use:
– The back-end is built on Node.js with Express and MongoDB. The front-end communicates with the back-end via a REST API and WebSockets
– We use continuous integration and automated deployments, combining GitHub, Docker and AWS. Our test suite uses Mocha and Chai
– We also have a desktop application for Mac and Windows, built using Electron
– The coding environments we build enable people to program for Arduino and other hardware, using languages based on C++
– Our e-commerce site is built on WordPress, with WooCommerce (managed by a freelance developer)
Work that may be coming our way this year: growing community features on our learning platform, creating a mobile/tablet app for one of our kits, redesigning our e-commerce platform, creating new coding environments, expanding our learning tools…
You’ll be joining our full-stack developer and team lead, and work within the product team. The product team consists of digital and hardware designers, engineers and content creators.
Our process is agile. Our iterations are weekly. We use pull requests to review code, maintain quality and learn from each other. We use TDD and pair programming when it makes sense. We use continuous integration tools to automate testing and deployments.
We are heavy users of Trello and Slack.
We believe in simple, maintainable, clean (and lean) code.
Finding the right cultural fit is very important to us. We’d like you to bring something new and complement the team. We expect you to:
– Care deeply about building great products and services and putting users at the centre of your work
– Focus on priorities and as much as possible, use data to drive decision-making
– Provide and accept feedback, share your opinions and experiences and when appropriate, educate other team members
A chance to work with an incredibly talented group of people fundamentally doing good work in the world and build an amazing company—if you want to look back on your career and know that you were a vital part of building a great company, this role is for you.
On top of that:
– Ownership—you will be part of the company’s stock option plan (EMI scheme)
– Free delicious wellness lunches with the full team every Monday
– A professional development fund (for conferences, courses…)
– A constantly growing technical library
– Flexible work hours
– A top of the range MacBook Pro or Air
– A bright and fun workplace in Hackney, next to the canal and a short walk from Victoria Park, Broadway Market and London Fields
How To Apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter or any questions to email@example.com for the attention of Ivan Maeder.