Company: Meow Wolf Inc.
Location: Santa Fe, USA
The Lighting / AV Designer will work as part of Meow Wolf’s tech team to creatively integrate lighting and audio/video into permanent exhibitions and other installations. This position will focus on designing and programming highly dynamic and immersive real world environments utilizing data from a wide array of sensor inputs, controlling video/projection mapping systems, in-house lighting and sound control systems in addition to developing automation systems for these components.
The Lighting / AV Designer will work within a small team of lighting and AV designer and developers, a subset of the Tech Team, and will be embedded in various art projects working alongside artists, fabricators, and technicians.
Salary Range: $60000 – $65000
• Work with art directors to develop lighting design of spaces
• Work with tech team to develop interactive lighting experiences
• Quickly prototyping interactive systems and other exhibition software projects
• Polishing, debugging, and automating interactive systems
• Reporting to the Tech General Manager and Tech Project Manager keeping on track with milestones and deadlines
• Interfacing with other teams, project managers, and artists on multiple projects
• Adapting interactivity concepts to be gratifying and dynamic for users
• Steering interactive concepts towards feasible strategies
• Documenting systems after completion
• Developing novel new concepts for immersive environments
• Designing and Developing content for Projection Mapped experiences
Required Education and Experience
• Understanding of lighting fixtures and control systems for various custom applications
• Strong sense of UX design and ability to develop dynamic interactive behaviors
• Strong understanding of projection mapping
• Strong ability to self-manage
• Strong portfolio (video preferably) that demonstrates designs and programming experience
• 3+ years experience designing and developing interactive environments, projection mapping and/or developing custom electronics with microcontrollers
Programming languages/protocols required: TouchDesigner, Python, Arduino, DMX Protocol
• Quality Focus
• Radical Inclusiveness
• Knowledge and Skills
• Team Focus
The employee is regularly required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 9-5pm or 10-6pm.
Low travel is expected for this position for 2018. Greater potential for travel in 2019.
How To Apply:
Please visit us at: https://jobs.meowwolf.com/
Please provide a cover letter answering the following questions:
• What is(are) your greatest strength(s) as a lighting / av designer?
• What technologies, platforms, and languages are you most familiar with?
• What technologies do you hope to learn more about or work with in the future?
• What is most exciting to you about making interactive environments?
• What is most exciting to you about joining the Meow Wolf Creative Studios?
• What is your ideal job like?
• Anything else you want us to know?
Please send examples of relevant previous projects.
About The Company:
Meow Wolf is an arts collective and production company that creates and operates immersive, interactive multimedia experiences that transport audiences of all ages into fantastical realms of storytelling. Founded in 2008 by a small group of artists, writers, musicians, and makers looking to create an egalitarian space for artistic expression, Meow Wolf’s first exhibits were created in warehouses on shoestring budgets. Since then, Meow Wolf has created 25 exhibits all over the United States, and worked with hundreds of artists.
The current job offering is to work with Meow Wolf Inc., dba Meow Wolf Creative Studios (hereafter referred to as Creative Studios), which Meow Wolf established in January 2017 as the parent organization for all of Meow Wolf’s subsidiary endeavors. Creative Studios is one of the fastest growing startups in New Mexico and is a Delaware registered B Corporation, a socially responsible business designation. The company is working to expand to other cities, but will operate from headquarters in Santa Fe, NM. Creative Studios currently has three subsidiaries and is raising investment to expand parent company activities to become a full creative studio.
The ethos of the company is often described as radically inclusive, where people are given the space to be expressive, creative, and effective. Unlike a traditional corporate setting, this produces an environment where no job is too low for anyone, and no ambition too high.