Company: Sheridan College
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Professor, Interaction Design
Faculty/Department: Animation, Arts & Design
Employee Group: Academic
Campus: Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: August 2018
Reference Number: 18/F/04
Salary Range: $62,717 – $108,723 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
Sheridan is looking for an outstanding individual to join our faculty team, starting in August 2018. The successful candidate will develop curriculum and teach a range of courses in Interaction Design to students in our Bachelors of Interaction Design Program in the Faculty of Animation, Arts & Design. Sheridan’s degree program prepares students to work as designers in the field of interactive communications. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to teach in areas that can include visual communication design, design thinking, mobile development, data visualization, programming for interactivity and technology courses. A desire to address the challenges of integrating emerging trends into curriculum, such as AR/ VR/ XR (Augmented Reality/ Virtual Reality/ Mixed Reality) and the use of AI (Artificial Intelligence), would be important for candidates to demonstrate. Our goal is to produce designers with a strong, personal voice and who can potentially provide leadership in the increasingly digital global practice of interaction design, to navigate increasingly complex design problems, and contribute to positive social and cultural change.
Sheridan faculty provide academic leadership to programs and courses within their areas of expertise and contribute to the creation of a learning-centred environment where students can develop to their full potential. They also contribute to College, Faculty and Program excellence by collaborating on a variety of initiatives such as new program development, applied research and alternative delivery strategies.
• Ensuring that program and course curricula are current, relevant and reflective of best practices within the relevant professional/program disciplines
• Defining, evaluating and validating learning outcomes for courses and programs
• Creating an effective environment for applied learning which accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences and learning styles
• Designing appropriate strategies and tools for facilitating and assessing student learning that are invitational and reflective of best practices in teaching and learning
• Developing appropriate strategies and tools to assess student performance that are consistent with the learning outcomes of the course and address multiple learning styles
• Developing multi-media materials and alternative delivery strategies, and incorporating appropriate educational technologies into the applied learning process
• Master’s degree in a related field of study (Ph.D. preferred)
• A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience
• A personal and informed view of contemporary interaction design practices, issues, and criticism
• A critical understanding of interaction design problem solving and innovative conceptual and strategic thinking with specific expertise in data visualization and mobile development, programming, prototyping processes and interaction design theory
• Experience teaching and curriculum development at the post-secondary level
• Formal studies in adult or higher education an asset
• Strong network of contacts with other academics, professionals, organizations and employers
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrable ability to convey the conceptual and applied aspects of knowledge to a broad range of students
• Committed to excellence in teaching and learning and to working within a team environment
• Special consideration will be given to candidates who show evidence of an advanced design practice, academic and creative scholarship and knowledge of contemporary interaction design within a range of social and cultural contexts. It is expected that the candidate will integrate research and practice within their teaching and will engage in curriculum development in response to evolving pedagogical needs in the discipline.
• Experience/interest in collaborative projects and teaching is highly desirable.
How To Apply:
Please apply online: https://careers-sheridancollege.icims.com