Location: Brooklyn, NY
Scatter is an immersive media studio. We are a team of artists, designers, technologists, and producers who share the belief that emerging technology has the power to shape culture. Our mission is to elevate emerging media projects – across VR, AR, MR and site-specific installations – to foster critical dialogue and evoke emotive experiences. Scatter creates original experiences, as well as offering services such as reality capture with our in-house volumetric filmmaking tool DepthKit, immersive media content production (VR/AR/MR), and interactive installations design.
We collaborate with leading technology companies, institutions, brands, and filmmakers to translate their visions into reality from technically-grounded creative ideation through to implementation and production.
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Start Date: October 15th
The Technical Director leads Scatter’s development team to define, execute and deliver groundbreaking immersive media projects across VR/MR and interactive installation media. The TD builds the implementation strategy, defining which technologies best align to Scatter’s mission and goals. As the first point of contact for all upcoming projects, this role is responsible for ensuring technical feasibility and participating in scoping, budgeting and allocating roles. During production, the Technical Director works closely with the Creative Director and Head of Production to inform creative treatments, design software architecture, and oversee the development team to deliver projects on time and on budget. Scatter adheres to an inherently cross-disciplinary design process, meaning that the TD will also be responsible for taking part in creative ideation and brainstorming.
- Build and lead teams of developers to successfully execute technical implementation of groundbreaking immersive reality projects on time and on budget.
- Work closely with creative and production leads to inform and match creative vision and accurately scope, vet and budget technically ambitious projects.
- Communicate technical concepts to clients clearly, inspiring confidence in Scatter’s ability to deliver on its promises.
- Be tech-agnostic through choosing the technologies and development environments that are best suited for a particular creative treatment.
- Rapidly prototype approaches to never-before-solved problems to quickly ensure viability of a given approach.
- Work hands-on alongside development team on the critical path implementing and delivering mission-critical code.
- Strong understanding of fundamentals of software development, object oriented architecture, and data structures.
- 5+ years experience in games, interactive installations, or related creative programming fields.
- Proficient in Unity, Unreal or similar state of the art game development tools.
- Proven track record of contributing to successful interactive experiences.
- Ability to work under pressure and changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience managing developers through project management tools and source control systems.
- Experience interfacing with teams of high-level professionals in artistic production such as designers, composers, and video editors.
- Passion for technology and drive to explore future of computing and storytelling.
- A passion for creating narrative virtual reality experiences that go beyond games.
- OOP expertise in C#, C++, Java, or Python and GPU shading languages.
- Working with Android and/or iOS mobile SDKs for app development.
- Familiarity with conventions in real-time rendering, rasterization, skinning, animation systems.
- 3D modeling and animation skills using tools such as Maya or Blender.
- Experience in filmmaking and/or screenwriting.
- Computer Vision and GPGPU programming in OpenCL and DirectCompute experience.
- Knowledge of real-time audio/video signal processing and formats a plus.
- Experience using camera tracking, Kinect or other interfaces in interactive installation contexts.
- Comprehensive health benefits program.
- Employee stock options.
How To Apply:
Send a copy of your resume and any portfolio links to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll be in touch