Location: Melbourne, Australia
– A creative technology company that strives to do things differently and purposefully.
– Our work is diverse and challenging. One size never fits all, so we look to design and deliver the right solution to the right problem for every client.
– We work together to create best-in-class experiences, built on considered strategy and enabled by technology and people.
– A global company and we benefit from the experience of our team abroad, accessing exciting and innovative projects and technology.
We’re looking for a Technical Director to work with our team of designers, strategists and developers, to lead, direct and shape our local development and technical offering. You will be the lead technical voice on challenging, inspiring and unique projects. We’re looking for a creative technologist who is familiar with some of the below technologies and challenges, and open to embracing new challenges that you might be less familiar with.
Our projects may take the form of some of the below:
● Large-format, multi-screen, high-frame-rate user interfaces
● Non-standard input methods, including touch, gesture, voice, and beyond
● Procedural graphics
● Particle systems
● Physics simulations
● VR and AR environments
You are someone who has the following attributes:
● A desire to use code to create exceptional and unique experiences
● Strong sense of aesthetic and motion
● An exacting attention to detail
● The ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects
● Excellent oral and written communications skills
● Personal initiative and a desire for genuine collaboration
● Familiarity with various project/team collaboration tools
At Downstream you will
● Lead, direct, and participate in the technical development of projects
● Be responsible for the quality and robustness of technical deliverables on each project
● Serve as a hands-on technology resource, shaping the concept and seeing it through to detailed design and implementation
● Provide key technical leadership within a given speciality area, serving as an expert and authoritative resource to both staff and clients
● Work directly with the creative and strategy teams to shape the execution and direction of projects
● Work with discipline leads to identify the interactive solutions and the technical requirements for execution
● Accurately estimate and plan development effort
● Be required to do some travel interstate and within the Asia Pacific region
● Have an inquisitive interest in the latest development techniques and technologies
● Feel comfortable driving innovation from a technical point of view
● Have a passion and commitment to solving complex technical challenges
● Have the ability to see projects through to completion with an innovative and curiosity-driven approach
Skillset / experience
● 6+ years experience.
● Experience developing both rapid prototypes and create production-level code
● Understanding of object-oriented programming concepts
● Basic 3D modelling
● Mastery of development for graphics pipeline
● Experience using version control systems (SVN, Git)
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Strong communication skills
● Excellent sense of aesthetic and motion
At least two of the below:
● Senior level experience with front-end technologies such as:
○ C++, creative coding toolkits, Cinder and/or openFrameworks
○ Unity or Unreal, Front-end web (including WebGL), Mobile
○ VR / MR / AR experience (any platform)
○ Arduino/electrical engineering, Mechanical Engineering, general maker-ing
● Experience developing for touch-base and other natural interfaces
● Comfort with high-level scripting languages
○ Python, Ruby, Lua, MaxMSP, DMX, PD / Processing / TouchDesigner
Nice to have
● Experience in leading a team of other developers
● Creative background
A few of the perks
– Working with a dedicated, respectful and often irreverent, team of designers, thinkers, developers.
– Located on one of Melbourne’s wonderfully busy laneways, in the middle of the action. Lunch is filled with foodie options!
– Regular team lunches and social events.
– We promote work-life balance and a flexible, humane professional environment.
– Unlimited gourmet coffee (NB Requires own barista skills. We provide the beans and the coffee machine)
How To Apply:
Invitation to apply
If working with the best in an exciting and rewarding team environment appeals to you, then we want to hear from you. Please apply with your Cover Letter addressing why Downstream and this role is a great fit for you and CV – firstname.lastname@example.org
A valid Australian Working VISA is required for the role.