Company: Rockwell Group
Location: New York, NY
The LAB at Rockwell Group is an experience innovation studio with a unique heritage in architecture, original storytelling, and creative technology. We build meaningful and memorable experiences by blending the spectacular and intimate. We’re a team of designers, strategists, writers, and creative coders who craft immersive experiences through physical and digital design. Our clients include: Google, Facebook, TAO, Cosmopolitan Hotel, JetBlue, MGM, Disney and Nike.
The LAB is looking for a proven Creative Technologist with a significant background in making amazing interactive experiences. As a Creative Technologist at the LAB, you will be part of a team of talented technologists and help guide the technical aspects of our projects, balancing cutting edge and magical results with realistic, reliable, and efficient implementation.
Working with our multidisciplinary team of architects, visual designers, and strategists, you’ll be part of large scale, public, high-budget projects from pitch to build-out, helping set scope development time and equipment cost, selecting appropriate technologies, feeding the creative process by conducting technology research and prototype development, plan and manage the production of software and hardware solutions.
You will work closely with Creative Technologists and our Studio Leader, Executive Producer, Creative Director, and Project Managers. You’ll communicate and coordinate with clients at world-renowned and industry leading brands. You’ll share wisdom with the technology team internally, and assist in maintaining contractor and vendor relationships externally. The ideal candidate will be able to be a great team member for both the creative and technical development of projects from concept through installation.
Our software stacks include a wide range of server-side software, web-based applications, AR/VR projects built in game engines like Unity, physical computing systems, and graphical programs written in Cinder, openFrameworks, and Processing. Our ideal candidate has broad expertise in full-stack software development and is capable of high-level software and systems architecture, networking, graphics performance tuning, and A/V systems design.
● Work with creative and production teams to participate in large scale projects from pitch to build-out
● Write software for large scale projects, often interactive and/or generative
● Advise in the development of pipelines, work plans, project requirements and feature sets
● Estimate cost, scope development timelines, in coordination with project managers
● Manage existing and form new contractor and vendor relationships
● Perform high-level assessment of AV system designs
● Find opportunities for new efficiencies, better processes, and sources of revenue in technology and experience design
● Participate in the production, documentation, and support of complex software and hardware projects
● Assess feasibility, forecast and manage risk
● Inform the creative process by performing research and prototyping with the latest technologies
● Attend trade conferences and engage the technical community
● Help with new business pitches, project presentations, and client meetings
● Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience; advanced degree a plus
● 3+ years experience in software development
● 3+ years developing user-facing, creative, interactive experiences
● Experience planning entire software lifecycles: software architecture, graphics heavy software projects, complex systems, performance tuning, user testing, documentation, support strategies
● Experience dealing with very long and very short timelines, and forming a coherent strategy for each
● Experience collaborating with non-technological disciplines, e.g. architects and other creatives
● Strong spoken/written communication, presentation, and project management skills
● Able to manage multiple projects in parallel
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Experience with live events and video production pipelines a plus
Expected Technical Skills (familiarity with all of the following with a strong focus in 3 or more):
● Graphics pipeline development (OpenGL, WebGL)
● Game engines and AR/VR (Unreal, Unity, ARKit/ARCore)
● Creative coding libraries (Cinder, openFrameworks, Processing, Three.js, Touchdesigner)
● Sensor software and hardware, physical computing (OpenCV, Depth Sensors, Digital & Analog Sensor, capacitive touch)
● Large scale and unconventional A/V installations (Projectors, LCD, LED, DMX/Artnet, audio)
● Embedded Computing (Raspberry Pi, Arduino) and Linux
● Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and 3D modeling software a plus
This is a full-time salaried position. We are looking for someone to start immediately.