Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Tellart is seeking a dynamic, passionate, and experienced Senior Technologist to join our team in Amsterdam. In this full-time role, you will become part of our global team and help to lead technology efforts on a range of exciting and challenging projects. You will have a unique opportunity to contribute directly to all aspects of our award-winning portfolio of client work, from concept development to final delivery.
As a Senior Technologist, you get to work closely with Tellart’s talented and energetic team of technologists, designers and producers, and have direct support from Tellart’s Technical Leads and Technology Director.
We are looking for someone with deep skills in a several related technical areas, such as: writing complete interactive software and firmware systems from the ground-up; prototyping with advanced materials, including electronics, sensors and motion-based mechanical assemblies; working at human-scale interactive technology, such as depth sensing, and other forms of camera-based vision tracking methods; or working at architectural scales, developing highly integrated, interactive media installations in networked environments.
Beyond a core technical ability, we are looking for individuals who are confident directing the work of others, and presenting to clients. An ability to communicate complex ideas through sketching, coding, prototyping, documenting and verbalizing is requisite. The Senior Technologist role is both challenging and rewarding. We are looking for someone who will bring a fresh perspective and challenge us to think differently about the creative use of technology in our design work.
– Lead technology efforts through multiple project phases with a big imagination, backed by research and prototyping
– Guide the technical work of others in order to achieve the highest standards of delivery within the constraints of a project
– Research, prototype and develop technical solutions, and clearly specify requirements needed to execute work
– Produce clear documentation, schematics, diagrams, code comments, and other forms of technical documents
– Troubleshoot, debug and resolve a wide range of technical issues on projects for both hardware and software
– Handle multiple deadlines and projects, while being self-directed and authoritative
– Perform onsite installations and help the team deploy reliable work using best practices
Key Qualifications & Skills
– Fluent in at least one systems-capable language, such as C/C++ or Rust
– Strong in at least one creative-coding framework, such as OF, Cinder, Processing, ThreeJS/WebGL, vvvv, Max
– Solid experience using digital fabrication tools, such as 3d-printers, laser-cutters, mills or similar components
– Hands-on knowledge crafting electronic circuits, using various types of sensors and writing firmware
– Firm grasp on electrical standards, including power load distribution, and key safety measures
– Able to navigate and manage networked, unix-based environments through ssh/terminal tools
– Proficient in common visual communication tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, Solidworks, AutoCAD
– Driven, organized and detail-oriented, while also adaptable and collaborative
– Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to quickly build rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants and vendors
– 5+ years of professional experience in a technical role, with a portfolio demonstrating delivered work in a related industry
– Experience developing “show control” solutions for controlling network-based, interactive media installations
– Familiar with motion-control systems, such as robotic arms, or related electro-mechanical actuators
– Worked with developing with a game-engine, such as Unity, Unreal Engine, to develop interactive work
– Experienced in spatial-computing applications, suing for VR/AR/MR or projection-mapping
– Actively involved in the creative technology community, showing work, giving talks, workshops, or teaching
Tellart is steered by the passion and vision of the people who work in our five studios, spanning three continents. Each member of that global team brings their own constellation of skills and aspirations to the thing we all share: a deep-seated need to practice design.
We are proud to be a tight-knit group from numerous countries, speaking over a dozen different languages and bringing a wide gamut of viewpoints and backgrounds. Our clients and collaborators are just as diverse–and we all come together in an environment of invention to work hard on very challenging projects.
Competitive salary and benefits are just one way in which we try to support this hugely motivated group. Simple, direct access for all team members to company leadership, a structured program for professional development and the ability to influence company policies are some other ways in which Tellart is built for and by its team.
Over the seventeen years since its founding, Tellart has been on the forefront of information and interaction design, creating interactive products and spaces that push technological boundaries to create groundbreaking experiences. Founded and headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, Tellart’s select staff now works across additional offices in Amsterdam, New York, and San Francisco. Team members regularly teach at many of the world’s leading universities and design schools, including Rhode Island School of Design, Umeå Institute of Design and Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design. Tellart has been the recipient of numerous top international prizes for recent projects including the SXSW Experimental, Cannes Lions, IxDA, Eurobest Grand Prix, Webby, Core77, D&AD Yellow Pencil. The firm’s work is featured in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.
How To Apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org including the following in the subject line: [Senior Technologist] Be sure to include a URL to your online portfolio, an up-to-date CV and a little intro to yourself. Looking forward to hearing from you!