Location: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
Category: Creative Coder
Mapbox is growing quickly. We’re the location layer for companies like The Weather Channel, Tableau, CNN, and Strava, with new enterprises jumping onto our platform every day. Our building blocks make it easy to integrate location into any mobile or online application. We are changing the way people move around cities and understand our planet.
The Labs team at Mapbox is responsible for combining our company’s APIs and SDKs in ways that inspire customers and our own development teams with a vision of what’s possible. We build demos and software prototypes that explore new use cases in growing markets and help us better understand where our platform can go.
You will begin working alongside engineers that support our Directions API, Navigation SDKs, and traffic maps to visualize, design and prototype interfaces to new features under development on our backend systems. In addition to participating in internal product conversations, you will regularly hand off work-in-progress to our Sales and Marketing teams to entice new customers with what’s coming next and gauge the market viability of new ideas.
Qualities we’re looking for:
– A portfolio that shows you can think creatively and prototype efficiently. Your work demonstrates a fluency of ideas and an ability to prioritize the most compelling ones. You are iterative in your design process and think laterally to bring in concepts from a wide variety of sources.
– An eye for design and visual clarity. We often have only seconds to make an impression; experience in the craft of visual communications is a plus. In the past, you may have designed UI mockups for a new app, written code to generate beautiful images, used d3.js to make data come alive, or built dynamic thematic maps that turn spatial data into art.
– Enthusiasm to dive deep into new areas of knowledge and work with domain experts. This role will require you to learn about a new set of industries, tools, and problems every few months. You will run alongside engineers and business development specialists who will provide essential context and access to resources in the given problem space. You will own a set of problems and generate innovative solutions that speak to the pain points and business needs in this area.
Experience with some of the above in the context of independent or self-directed projects (i.e. not part of your day job) is more than welcome.
How To Apply:
Sound like you?
Visit http://grnh.se/ybrol31 to apply and include:
– A note telling us why you’re interested in Mapbox and working on product prototypes with the Labs team.
– A link to a portfolio of past work.
– A brief overview of your relevant past experience.
Sound interesting, but not sure you tick all the boxes? Please apply – we emphasize teaching and learning at Mapbox, and there’s tons of room to grow.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.