Created by Moritz Greiner-Petter, TICK (TIC) tries to embed the notion of uselessness, extravagance and non-intentionality in programmed environments. Tick is an AppleScript that runs in the background to augment the movement of your mouse cursor with neurotic loops from time to time. Once started it runs invisibly in the background, without a dock icon.
The parasite application augments the interaction with your personal computer with arbitrary curly moves of your mouse cursor from time to time. The efficiency and accuracy of the machine is slightly infiltrated by generated quirk. Although beeing totally programmed itself it asks for how easily we allow for exceptions or irregularities in an increasingly programmed reality.
TICK is part of the “Precise Ambiguities” project consisting of a number of metaphorical artifacts trying to reflect on our ability to relate to the world and its phenomena through the tools we create. It is a collection of self-critical “tools of thought” which exhibit in their form or behaviour their own conceptual limits and blind spots.
- IOGraphica [Mac, Windows, Linux] Formerly known as MousePath, IOGraphica was created by Moscow designer Anatoly Zenkov to brighten up the routine work. Posting it at Flickr caused informal interest and afterward Anatoly Zenkov and his colleague Andrey Shipilov decided to evolve the app. IOGraphica is an application that tracks your mouse movements and converts them into a single image showing all the paths you have made with your mouse. The idea is that you just run it and do your usual day stuff at the computer. Go back to IOGraph after a while and grab a nice picture of what you’ve done. Besides the mouse path, the application also tracks your idle time, displaying it as circles of varying radius depending of how much time you spent away from the computer. You can either use blank canvas or tell application to capture your current desktop as an underlay. Find out more info + download Mac, Windows or Linux (java) versions of the app, see […]
- Virtual Reality Art Show by Geoffrey Lillemon + Random Studio The Nail Polish Inferno is a "Virtual Reality art show accessed through the Oculus Rift". Developed with Unity in combination with 3D Studio Max, Geoffrey once again takes us on a virtual journey of the uncomfortable and […]
- Hairrrr [Mac, Cinder] Created by Doug Pfeffer, Hairrrr is a Mac application that converts images into fields of hair. A while back Doug posted some sample generated images that sort of looked like body hair on the Cinder forums. Although he still hasn't found a project to integrate it with, he touched it up a little bit and wrapped it up in an OS X application. You can load your own image (through that button or drag n' drop) and save the images out. Options include hair length, density and also ability to invert. Download here (3.3mb). See also activecellmedia.com Doug Pfeffer is a developer at the Barbarian […]
- refreq [Sound, openFrameworks, Mac] Created by Daniel Feles, refreq is a customisable music player. You can load music files into refreq, but also images (bitmaps, imgs, pngs). When you load a song, first the program analyzes the track, then it draws its frequency spectrum. After tracking, you can generate the spectral image / bitmap back into music. Likewise, if you load an image, according to pixel value to application scans the image based on the line you can position anywhere on the screen. Simultaneously you can move the line while the content is being played producing some quite interesting variations. I was listening to music, when I fell asleep. When the track was over, I woke up and just realized, this music would be really cool for a documentation video, but we have to rotate it 90 degree. At this point, it's getting really interesting. After you have the image of the track, how you want to play it depends on you, You can play with the timeline, to play the sound from another aspect. Daniel is also looking for collaborators for this opensource project, to bring windows and linux versions of the software. You can download the source here and get in touch with Daniel via his site. Project Page Created […]
- LastHistory [Mac] LastHistory allows you to analyze music listening histories from Last.fm through an interactive visualization and to explore your own past by combining the music you listened to with your own photos and calendar entries. It is available as a desktop application for Mac OS X v10.5 or higher. Included are two modes, optimized for a different use case. Analysis Mode can be used for interactively analyzing an arbitrary listening history (not necessarily your own) in three basic dimensions: time, tracks and genre. Integrated tools like searching, playlist highlighting, mouse-over information, and zooming allow to generate insight for the visualized music listening history in each of those dimensions. Personal Mode adapts the visualization shown in Analysis mode for exploring your own past: by adding photos from your iPhoto library and calendar entries from iCal to the visualization, you can reminisce about your past by listening to the top tracks from your last vacation while watching a slide show of the corresponding photos. You can download the Mac OSX application by visiting the website or play with the source code which is available on GitHub. LastHistory The application was created as part of Frederik Seiffert's thesis (Diplomarbeit) at the Media Informatics Group of the University of Munich, supervised by Dominikus […]
- ExtraFile File Formats [Mac] Created by Kim Asendorf, ExtraFile is conceptional software with practical usage. It's main intention is to offer an alternative to the static system of image file formats. It is also an attempt to address an alternative image file format, a piece of art, far away from the mainstream and commercial standards. The freedom not to have to pay attention to the file size or the loading and saving times provides the option to implement artistically byte orders, odd quality behaviours and visual designed formats. ExtraFile is breaking the rules of commercial formats like JPG, PNG or TIFF. It is a pioneer art project in storing image data. The process and the resulting bytes, regardless of content, become the artwork itself. ExtraFile.app is a native Mac OS X image converter application written in objC with the ability to open, preview and save the most common image file formats. It offers the possibility to use the seven build-in formats, 4Bit Components , Block Ascii , Block Indexed , Channel Compressed Image , Monochrome Collector File , Uniform Spectrum and the ExtraFile Format , to store image data. ExtraFile is an open source project, the source code is available on GitHub under the Artistic License 2.0. http://extrafile.org | http://kimasendorf.com Notes, comments and related projects: Extrafile vs GLI.TC/H vs. A Vernacular of File Formats by Rosa Menkmann when we ran out of formats, there was ExtraFile by Bit Synthesis EXTRAFILE by Hellocatfood extrafile by […]
- hello world [Mac, Windows, Flash] Latest addition to the SCR Label is the beautiful visual art application created by qubibi (Kazumasa Teshigawara) that comes in the form of screensaver for Mac and Windows. Named hello world, this computer generated visual feast allows you to "enjoy the ever-changing, lasting process of creation and existence". "You are born. You feed on, or excrete, others. (Where do you end? What’s between you and others?) You bond, discharge, and fertilize with others. You deteriorate, eventually, or suddenly. You die. This is your life, for the most part." The full version costs $15.00 but you can download the demo to try out at scr.sc/products/helloworld Previously: Year of the Tiger […]
Posted on: 28/01/2013
- Engineering Lead at Wieden+Kennedy
- Web Developer at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Junior Production Assistant at Resonate
- WebGL/3D Creative Prototyping Devs at TheSupply
- Freelance Interactive Producers at Psyop
- Art Director/Senior Designer at Stinkdigital
- Creative Technologist, The ZOO at Google
- Jr. / Sr. Software Developer at Minivegas
- Web Developer at Minivegas
- Digital Producer at Minivegas
- 3D Technologist at INDG
- Creative Director at INDG