Company: Woodbury University
Location: Burbank, United States of America
Type of position: Full-Time Ranked Renewable Term
Woodbury University invites applications for a full-time Faculty Assistant, or Associate to lead two programs: Applied Computer Science – Media Arts, and Design Computation. Preference will be given to candidates with administrative experience. Faculty rank and salary are commensurate with teaching experience, professional background, and the degrees held. Contract renewal and rank advancement at Woodbury are contingent upon satisfying departmental and university criteria, which include effective teaching, meaningful engagement through creative work, scholarship, and service to the University. The position begins in August 2020. Woodbury University is a non-tenure granting institution.
The Applied Computer Science – Media Arts degree is a hybrid design and technology degree focusing on emerging digital practices by working with interactive environments, experiential design and human interaction. The program uses computer science as a tool to innovate within the fields of design, entertainment, and media arts. Design Computation is a four-year undergraduate degree that focuses on the theory and practice of computation as it applies to the design and architecture professions. This new program is currently under development and it will be the work of the successful candidate to initiate the program and develop key overlaps with existing Applied Computer Science – Media Arts program.
Information on the programs can be found at the links below:
We are seeking a candidate with expertise in the domains of the arts, media, design and architecture. The candidate should incorporate computer science and technology in both professional and academic work. Teaching possibilities may include the following: Introductory to advanced level courses in programming, real-time generated media, advanced 3D production, design computation physical computing, machine learning, augmented reality and virtual reality. The candidates should demonstrate an ability to teach at multiple levels in the ACS-Media Arts and Design Computation programs through the exhibition of deep programming skills and a comprehensive knowledge of new technologies in the field.
Preference will be given to candidates with administrative experience, including curriculum and syllabus development, policies and procedures, development and management of the departmental budget, evaluation of hardware and software purchases, oversight of facilities and lab equipment, class scheduling, student recruitment, end-of-year showcase production, student advising, hiring of faculty, maintaining accreditation standards, learning outcomes assessment, alumni relations, articulation agreements, and community outreach involving academic advisory boards, professional organizations and internship opportunities.
- Applicants should demonstrate an active career in emerging media-related fields and/or design computation. A Terminal degree (e.g., MFA, M.Arch, MSArch) is preferred and required for rank advancement.
- Experience teaching at an accredited college or university.
- The ideal candidate will have produced a body of work that reflects deep expertise and proficiency in multiple programming languages and development platforms, accompanied by a strong visual portfolio.
How To Apply:
Review of applications will begin January 15th and remain open until filled.
Submissions should include:
1. A letter of application outlining administrative experience, teaching interests and experience, research or other creative interests and relevant experience. (2 pages)
2. Curriculum Vitae.
3. Portfolio of Student Work with links to animated or interactive media. (10 pages, maximum)
4. Portfolio of Professional Work and/or Research with links to animated or interactive media. (10 pages, maximum)
5. A list of References with contact information. These will be contacted only in the event the candidate advances in the search.
Please send the above as a single bound pdf through a downloadable link.
Send materials to:
Human Resources Office
7500 N. Glenoaks Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91510-1052
Woodbury University is an EEO/AA institution committed to multicultural diversity in its peoples and programs