Company: Arizona State University
Location: Chandler, US
The School of Arts, Media and Engineering (AME) of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts and the School of Computing and Augmented Intelligence (SCAI) of the Ira A Fulton School of Engineering at Arizona State University seek a dynamic individual with expertise and applied and theoretical innovations in artificial intelligence (AI) and intelligent systems to join the transdisciplinary ASU at Mesa City Center emerging media technologies team for a full-time, tenure-track assistant professor appointment to begin in Fall 2022. In addition to its impact on research and innovation in AI-supported augmented and extended reality technologies, this position will also play a critical role in the development and delivery of new cross-disciplinary programs, including the MS in Digital Culture (Extended Reality Technologies) and the PhD/MS in Data Science, Analysis, and Engineering, all cross-disciplinary degree programs focused on emerging technologies and practices for public impact. The State of Arizona recently committed new investments towards the university in the areas of human performance, future communication technologies, extreme environments, and advanced manufacturing, within the context of its New Economy Initiative. Candidates with application interest in these key research areas are particularly encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
About the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts (HIDA)
Arizona State University’s Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is the largest comprehensive design and arts school in the country, located within a dynamic research university focused on transformative change. Built on a unique combination of disciplines, the Herberger Institute comprises the Schools of Art; Arts, Media and Engineering; Music, Dance and Theatre; The Design School; The Sidney Poitier New American Film School, and the ASU Art Museum. The Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school through developing and scaling ideas that strengthen the role of designers and artists across all areas of society and culture, increasing the capacity of artists to make a difference in their communities. For more information on the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, visit herbergerinstitute.asu.edu.
About the Fulton Schools of Engineering (FSE)
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University is one of the largest and most comprehensive engineering programs in the United States. Our students represent 135 countries, all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We create engineers and inspire innovation. We are agile, dynamic and dedicated to continuous innovation, student success, faculty excellence, and cultivation of an environment that is diverse, equitable and inclusive. We offer the Fulton Difference, encapsulated by these principles:
● We focus on student success in the classroom and beyond.
● We accelerate use-inspired research and entrepreneurial engagement.
● Our faculty are dedicated to transformational research and engineering education.
● We engage our stakeholders in industry and the community.
● We make global impacts.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University seek creative and entrepreneurial faculty having backgrounds and interests aligned with our research themes and who have passion for educating and mentoring the next generation of engineers and high-tech workforce.
About ASU at Mesa City Center
Arizona State University has joined forces with one of the nation’s fastest growing cities to build a digital innovation center in Mesa. ASU at Mesa City Center will open doors for students in emerging industries while helping transform Mesa’s downtown area into a bustling innovation district. Once fully developed, this 118,000 square-foot space will leverage its soundstages, audio laboratories, immersive laboratories, screening theaters, fabrication labs and design studios to encourage collaborations aimed at solving problems today and in the future—from visualizing new systems of urban transportation to testing new designs for hospital rooms. This world-class media production site will host hundreds of students making films, video games and other immersive media, as well as extended reality experiences of all kinds. Our inclusive programming will train some of the best storytellers and media entrepreneurs in the world, and the facility will also be an open and inviting place for the public as well as a source of inspiration, entertainment and education.
ASU’s vibrant and innovative approaches to research and teaching are charting new paths in education and research in the public interest. ASU strongly encourages transdisciplinary collaboration and use-inspired, socially relevant research. The primary responsibilities for this jointly appointed position will be in bridging the programs of ASU at Mesa City Center, a cross-disciplinary trio of graduate programs bringing together researchers, designers, and engineers to innovate XR technologies, immersive experience design, and practices for public impact, with the relevant computational AI and big data programs in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an internationally recognized and externally funded collaborative research program, develop and teach graduate and undergraduate courses, advise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students, undertake scientific and university service activities, engage stakeholders in the university and the community, and demonstrate national and international leadership in their field.
How To Apply:
Candidates must have:
• Completed a PhD or other terminal degree in computer science, engineering, media arts, or a related field by the start date of the appointment.
• Demonstrated expertise in machine learning and/or artificial intelligence, and/or systems for the design of games or other narrative and interactive environments.
• Demonstrate evidence of excellence in research in these areas, including but not limited to publications in top-tier journals and conferences.
• Demonstrate commitment to excellence in teaching, along with dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Demonstrate commitment to and potential for establishing an externally funded research program.
Highly qualified for this position may possess:
• Commitment to research, creative activity and/or scholarship that has public impact outside of the academy, including work related to community engagement, social justice, communication of science, cross-cultural communication or similar endeavors.
• Ability to communicate effectively in and across multiple disciplinary cultures; expertise in engaging multiple viewpoints and audiences in a variety of formats.
• Experience collaborating with colleagues from different disciplines – including engineers, game designers, and artists – to develop and grow dynamic research and academic programs.
• Experience in working with external stakeholders and communities in a highly collaborative or co-creative manner.
• Evidence of ability to inspire and instruct learners from diverse backgrounds and demonstrated skill in teaching and mentoring early career researchers, including graduate students and/or early career faculty.
• Research interest in one or more of New Economic Initiative research areas of energy, human performance, future communication technologies, extreme environments, and advanced manufacturing.
• Experience working with Unity, Unreal or equivalent game engine.
• Experience teaching online or creating resources for training/education in an online environment.
Instructions to Apply:
1. A C.V.
2. A letter of interest/cover letter that includes a high-level overview of the applicant’s research and teaching interests and addresses their potential alignment with the stated values and mission of ASU and the relevant schools.
3. A research statement detailing the applicant’s research interests, accomplishments, and future plans (and optionally including a link to online samples of relevant work and/or a creative portfolio).
4. A teaching statement detailing the applicant’s teaching interests, accomplishments, and future plans.
5. A diversity statement addressing how the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or racial justice will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
6. Contact information for at least 3 professional or scholarly references.
All applications must be submitted electronically via apply.interfolio.com/96688
The application deadline is January 3, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements – Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 4, 2022. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Applicants may also be interested in the following positions within the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts that are posted now or will be posted soon. Please consider applying to any and all positions that fit your qualifications. All applications must be submitted separately.
• Assistant Professor, AR/VR/XR Technologies
• Assistant Professor, Visualizing Future/World Building
• OPEN – Experience Design: Immersion
• Assistant Professor of 3D Animation