Location: New York City, USA
Category: Interaction Designer
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance toward the advancement of Nature.
OXMAN is seeking a Computational Designer to join an all-star interdisciplinary team of deep thinkers and brilliant makers, leveraging computation as a language for mediation between human-made and Nature-grown environments. This person embodies both technical and aesthetic rigor in applying computational methods toward the development of novel design paradigms. In this role, they will conduct research in computational geometry, computational fabrication, computational intelligence, and/or computational dynamics and apply this research to design. They will develop striking embodiments, processes, and strategies to engage with complex environments and behavior spaces, not only through representation and prediction but also through optimization, exploration, and learning. Taking a generative approach to design and process-driven making, the Computational Designer will contribute to a range of projects at OXMAN, spanning client-specific design work and platform technology development. This way of thinking and making enables them to facilitate mediation and dialog, opening opportunities for non-obvious interactions and combined systems that unite physical, digital, and biological elements.
- Develop computational design processes, embodiments, pipelines, and tools to explore mediation across biomimetic, biointegrated, and biosynthethic systems.
- Conception: Create prototypes, models, and pre-visualizations of computational design embodiments and methods to guide design processes and decision-making within the team.
- Research: Conduct research to enable and support projects through computational design technologies. Research is integrated to specific projects or facilitates the development of computational design processes used across projects.
- Implementation: Realize design concepts by using computational methods to design embodiments and, further, implement novel computational design processes that generate embodiments (e.g., 3D models, fabrication descriptions, machine interfaces, software, scripts).
- Visualization: Develop 3D renderings and illustrations to inform and express research and design concepts to the team, clients, and the public.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers.
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets.
Qualifications & competencies
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a design, production, or architecture studio.
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design.
- Mastery of digital design tools such as SideFX Houdini, Rhino, Grasshopper, or Cinema 4D.
- Proficiency in programming (Python and/or C++).
- Proficiency in real-time tools such as Touch Designer, Unreal Engine, or Unity is a plus.
- Research experience in computational geometry, computational fabrication, computational intelligence, computational dynamics, or related fields.
- Working knowledge of university-level linear algebra and multivariable calculus.
- Strong understanding of artistic fundamentals of composition, form, and color.
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners.
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
How To Apply:
Please visit https://jobs.lever.co/OXMAN to apply