Location: New York City, USA
Category: Interaction Designer
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance of Nature toward its advancement.
- Assist in building and maintaining a system for the organization of the in-house exhibition and storage space for artwork and research projects.
- Help design and cultivate a swift process for art loans and an effortless communication process with external art collaborators.
- Research design, cultural, and societal matters with a sharp eye, critical intuition, and quick hand.
- Contribute to the conceptual phase of design projects through brainstorming, outlining the field, setting the scope, and understanding the different players involved.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers.
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets.
- Other essential duties as assigned.
Qualifications & competencies
- MA or BA Degree in design research, architecture, or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a museum, art practice, or architecture studio.
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design.
- Exceptional skills in research techniques, archiving, managing, and analyzing physical and virtual data.
- Proficiency in graphic design, including mastery of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and drawing tools are a plus.
- Creative and photographic experience.
- Advanced spatial awareness and understanding of the architectural field.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills, independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners.
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
How To Apply:
Please visit https://jobs.lever.co/OXMAN to apply