Location: New York City, USA
Category: Interaction Designer
OXMAN is a hybrid Design and R&D company that fuses design, technology, and biology to invent multi-scale products and environments. The fusion of disciplines within our work opens previously impossible opportunities within each domain—allowing design to inspire science and science to inspire design.
At OXMAN, we question dominant modes of design that have divorced us from Nature by prioritizing humanity above all else (human-centric design). Although it is design that has caused this rift, we believe that design also offers the greatest opportunity to heal it.
We propose a Nature-centric approach that delivers design solutions by, for, and with the natural world, while advancing humanity. In this pursuit, we reject all forms of segregation and instead call for a radical synergy between human-made and Nature-grown environments.
This approach demands that we design across scales for systems-level impact. We consider every designed construct a whole system of heterogeneous and complex interrelations—not isolated objects—that are intrinsically connected to their environments. In doing so, we open ourselves up to moving beyond mere maintenance of Nature toward its advancement.
OXMAN is seeking a problem-seeker and problem-solver who specializes in the product and furniture scales yet feels comfortable designing across all scales. This person embodies a blend of expertise in industrial design and creative engineering—intrinsic curiosity augmenting extraordinary rigor. This multiplicative way of thinking and making enables them to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to leverage unconventional materials and technologies and invent new ones along the way. Taking a systems-thinking approach, the Industrial Designer will contribute to a range of projects at OXMAN, spanning client-specific design projects and artistic and conceptual prototyping. Research and design explorations using biological systems are an integral part of the work as well.
- Serve as the leading voice of all OXMAN design work related to the product scale.
- Contribute to design projects at all stages, from concept development to product fruition.
- Nurture and augment the design vision of OXMAN, upholding core design principles and ensuring the highest and most innovative quality of work.
- Incorporate research and artistic principles in the design process, applying advanced physical fabrication and digital tools for experimentation and design research.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, biologists, and designers.
- Communicate ideas, work, and progress clearly, including by engaging in team meetings, presentations, and other creative communication outlets.
Qualifications & competencies
- MA or BA Degree in industrial design.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in an industrial design or architecture studio.
- Portfolio demonstrating the design of highly successful products from conceptualization to commercialization.
- Portfolio demonstrating out-of-the-box thinking and stellar taste in design.
- Proficiency in Fusion 360 or equivalent 3D modeling and rendering tools.
- Familiarity with manufacturing tools, including CNC routers, robotic arms, and 3D printers.
- Knowledge of electronics is a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent project management skills, independence, self-motivation, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to the team; maintains positive working relationships with diverse people, including internal team and external partners.
- Embodies ethics and integrity in all work, respecting both company and broader community policies in all conduct.
OXMAN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
How To Apply:
Please visit https://jobs.lever.co/OXMAN to apply