Company: Arizona State University
Location: Tempe, AZ, US
The Design School and the School of Music, Dance and Theatre at Arizona State University seek a dynamic and collaborative creator and designer of immersive experiences, entertainment, and/or themed environments for a full-time, jointly-appointed, open/TBD rank position as part of the development of the ASU at Mesa City Center emerging media technologies facility and its resident programs. This full-time appointment will start in Fall 2022 and may take the form of a tenured/tenure-track or professor of practice position depending on candidate qualifications.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation’s fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
About the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts
Arizona State University’s Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is the largest comprehensive design and arts school in the country, located within a dynamic research university focused on transformative change. Built on a unique combination of disciplines, the Herberger Institute comprises the Schools of Art; Arts, Media and Engineering; Music, Dance and Theatre; The Design School; The Sidney Poitier New American Film School, and the ASU Art Museum. The Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the 21st-century design and arts school through developing and scaling ideas that strengthen the role of designers and artists across all areas of society and culture, increasing the capacity of artists to make a difference in their communities. For more information on the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, visit herbergerinstitute.asu.edu.
About The Design School
The Design School in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University is the largest and most comprehensive school for design education, with programs ranked top 20 in the nation. From programs in architecture, landscape architecture and industrial design to interior design, urban design and visual communication, our students master the skills and research techniques needed for their future design professions through innovative, transdisciplinary methods. Our mission is to educate future designers to shape collaborations, synthesize complexity and catalyze transformation for public good. By engaging in dynamic and ongoing discourse about the future of design education, we aim to create a school that is more relevant, collaborative and equitable. Join us at Arizona State University and be part of creating the next generation of design. For more information on The Design School, visit design.asu.edu.
About the School of Music, Dance and Theatre
The School of Music, Dance and Theatre in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University is widely recognized for preparing artists, scholars, visionaries and entrepreneurs to become creative leaders who transform society through their art. Our internationally recognized faculty artists, scholars and guest artists are motivating and compassionate mentors who work with students to cultivate excellence and personal growth. Our nationally recognized programs feature a comprehensive range of degrees plus minors and certificates and more than 600 concerts, events, performances, productions and recitals each year. Located in the culturally rich Southwest in one of the most vibrant, expanding urban centers, our programs afford students access to a diverse environment and engagement in Phoenix’s flourishing arts community. Above all, we value the creativity, personal experience and voice each student brings to the school. For more information on the School of Music, Dance and Theatre, visit musicdancetheatre.asu.edu.
About ASU at Mesa City Center
Arizona State University has joined forces with one of the nation’s fastest growing cities to build a digital innovation center in Mesa. ASU at Mesa City Center will open doors for students in emerging industries while helping transform Mesa’s downtown area into a bustling innovation district. Once fully developed, this 118,000 square-foot space will leverage its soundstages, audio laboratories, immersive laboratories, screening theaters, fabrication labs and design studios to encourage collaborations aimed at solving problems today and in the future—from visualizing new systems of urban transportation to testing new designs for hospital rooms. This world-class media production site will host hundreds of students making films, video games and other immersive media, as well as extended reality experiences of all kinds. Our inclusive programming will train some of the best storytellers and media entrepreneurs in the world, and the facility will also be an open and inviting place for the public as well as a source of inspiration, entertainment and education.
The primary responsibilities for this jointly appointed position will be in the programs of ASU at Mesa City Center, a cross-disciplinary trio of graduate programs bringing together researchers, designers and engineers to leverage XR technologies, immersive experience design, and practices for public impact. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an independently funded and collaborative research program; teach and mentor students; participate in professional and university service; engage stakeholders in the university and the community, and demonstrate national and international leadership in their field.
Candidates for this position must have
• Demonstrated excellence in and commitment to teaching, though this need not be in a formal higher education setting.
• Demonstrated dedication to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• An MFA, PhD, other terminal degree in a relevant field, or significant professional experience over a minimum of five years in a related field. (Terminal degree required for international candidates.)
• One or more advanced skills in the design of immersive experiences, entertainment and/or hospitality environments, including but not limited to: 3D modeling/visualization/animation software, motion capture, volumetric capture/digitization, digital fabrication, and gaming/interaction in Unity or Unreal environments.
Highly qualified candidates for this position may possess:
• An established or emerging national or international profile of research and/or creative activity in the fields of immersive experience design, themed entertainment, and/or production design.
• Demonstrated experience in the design, development and execution of physical and digital environments in one or more following settings: themed entertainment, film, television, video games, immersive performance/theatre, virtual reality, installations, hospitality.
• Demonstrated experience working with one or more 3D software programs such as Autodesk Maya/AutoCAD/Revit, Rhino, Blender, Cinema4D, 3DStudioMax, ARCGIS, Navisworks etc.
• Demonstrated understanding of higher education production processes in dance, theatre, immersive performance, film/television, architectural interiors, and/or environmental design/built environments.
• Ability to design and implement curriculum and programs in immersive media and/or entertainment design, for both online and in-person courses, and to collaborate in working across diverse cultures and multiple disciplines.
• Evidence of ability to inspire and instruct learners from diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated experience in working with external stakeholders and communities in a highly collaborative or co-creative manner. Commitment to research, creative activity and/or scholarship that has public impact outside of the academy, including work related to community engagement, social justice, communication of science, cross-cultural communication or similar endeavors.
How To Apply:
Instructions to Apply:
1. A C.V.
2. A letter of interest/cover letter that includes a description of the applicant’s research and teaching interests and addresses their potential alignment with the stated values and mission of ASU and the relevant departments.
3. A statement addressing how the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or racial justice will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
4. Contact information for at least 3 professional or scholarly references.
5. Portfolio of creative and/or research work submitted electronically, as a website or via a downloadable link/application or publication sample (file size limit 1GB).
6. A statement of teaching philosophy.
All applications must be submitted electronically via http://apply.interfolio.com/96696
The application deadline is January 3, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements – Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 4, 2022. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Applicants may also be interested in the following positions within the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts that are posted now or will be posted soon. Please consider applying to any and all positions that fit your qualifications. All applications must be submitted separately.
• Assistant Professor, AR/VR/XR Technologies
• Assistant Professor, Artificial Intelligence/Intelligent Systems
• Assistant Professor, Visualizing Future/World Building
• Assistant Professor of 3D Animation