Location: Germany, Potsdam
The Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF is a lively place of art, research and teaching. Renowned experts from film practice and academia provide students with intensive and individual support. At Germany’s only film university, innovative research with, in and on film and other audiovisual media is advanced. The university is a cosmopolitan and non-discriminatory space for cultural and social debate.
Here, an artistic professorship at grade W2 for the subject area “Visual Effects” is to be filled as a full position as of April 01, 2023.
The professorship will be filled for an unlimited period of time in accordance with §43 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG). In the case of an initial appointment, the appointment is limited to five years and will be made permanent after a positive evaluation.
The Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF is looking for a person who will teach the field of “Visual Effects” in the newly planned Bachelor’s programme “Visual Effects & Virtual Productions” (AT) in theory and practice and represent it in teaching and research. The applicant should have a broad background in the field of visual effects (VFX) with a focus on the artistic realisation of visual effects and ideally have initial experience with new virtual production processes in the context of VFX. Several years of experience in cross-departmental work on the film set, for example as a VFX supervisor, as well as teaching experience are expected. The area of expertise to be represented by the professorship comprises the teaching of competences for the conception, development, planning and production of visual effects for film and media productions of various types (linear, interactive and immersive media). In particular, specific skills in material analysis, concept art, storyboarding and 2D/3D compositing are to be taught. The willingness to teach basic principles is a expected.
A central component of the professorship’s area of responsibility is the development of the newly planned BA programme “Visual Effects & Virtual Productions” (AT) at the Filmuniversität in close cooperation with the professorship for “Visual Effects Technologies/ Virtual Production”. This includes the further development of the teaching concept and the curriculum with regard to the connectivity to the Master’s programmes and the close interlinking of the study programme with the other degree programmes.
The advertised professorship is closely involved in the processes of cross-curricular film work. Therefore, experience in the areas of interdisciplinary project work is central. In addition, the applicant is expected to further develop the field, establish future-oriented cooperations within and outside the university and be open to new (technological) developments. A high degree of presence at the university is an absolute requirement.
The tasks of the professorship of responsibility includes:
• Establishment and management of the newly planned BA degree programme “Visual Effects & Virtual Productions” (AT)
• Teaching in the degree programme, in German and English, including the teaching of basic principles
• Initiation, coordination, implementation and supervision of interdisciplinary projects and courses
• Supervision of student projects, theses, presentations, examinations
• Supervision of qualification projects of academic staff members
• Active further development of one’s own subject area and the degree programme
• Networking and building up cooperation within and outside the university
• Willingness to collaborate on third-party funding applications and projects as well as the realisation of independent artistic research projects
The profile of the professorship includes participation and presence in academic selfadministration and collaboration in the continuous development of the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes and requires active communication internally and externally for networking and further development of interdisciplinary cooperation. The profile of the advertised position also includes the ability to support the artistic development process of students and to encourage and promote reflection on this in discussion. An open-minded and empathetic attitude is required for this.
The legal requirements for employment are derived from §41(1) numbers 1 through 4a and §41(4) of the BbgHG as follows:
• Completed university studies in the field of visual media, image design or comparable degree; in deviation from this, excellent subject-related performance in practice can also be demonstrated
• Pedagogical aptitude through teaching experience at higher education institutions or comparable
• Proof of special skills in artistic work through several years of professional experience in national and/or international VFX productions, e.g. as VFX supervisor, VFX artist, VFX generalist
• Furthermore, additional artistic achievements and an active artistic practice to be proven by corresponding projects, etc.
Expected, to be proven by corresponding projects, or similar:
• Very good skills in the area of PreViz, Concept Art, Storyboard, Look Development
• Very good skills in the area of material analysis, VFX breakdown, calculation
• Experience in 2D/3D compositing
• Professional experience in project management
• Professional experience in cross-departmental collaboration on set
• Sound knowledge of software applications relevant for visual effects
• Very good written and spoken English
• Good contacts in the media industry
• Communicative, coordinating and structuring skills, leadership competence
Desirable are also, to be proven by relevant projects, or similar:
• Experience in working with realtime rendering engines and virtual productions
• Experience with FX simulations and procedural methods
• Experience with crowd manipulation and/or digital characters
• Experience with tracking, rotoscoping and grading
• Experience integrating audio into VFX productions
Teaching comprises 18 SWS according to the teaching obligation regulation of the state of Brandenburg and according to the study and examination regulations.
The Film University values the diversity of its members and pursues the goals of equal opportunity regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, disability, age, and sexual orientation and identity. In accordance with §7(4) BbgHG, women and severely disabled persons are given preferential consideration in the case of equal suitability. Applications from abroad, from persons with a migration background and applicants with family care responsibilities are expressly welcome. Please indicate any severe disabilities in your application. The Film University aims to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. The Film University asks applicants to submit a written teaching concept. In addition, we ask the applicants to formulate their ideas on how equality and diversity can be integrated into teaching and research and supported in university life. They should also describe how latent and explicit forms of discrimination can be countered. These aspects will be taken into account in the selection decision.
How To Apply:
Please send your application containing your application documents with
• description of your academic, artistic-creative and pedagogical background
• curriculum vitae
• teaching concept
• proof of activities
• examples of work – through a corresponding link on a streaming platform
• list of publications
by 31.08.2022 exclusively via our online application portal (https://karriere.filmuniversitaet.de/de/jobposting/52e187f63ce9fd37d26e9c20e61fbca36fbc210e0/apply)