Location: Portland USAW
Creative Application Developer
2-4 years’ experience, Full Time, Portland OR
In this role, you’ll develop digital experiences for our partners in the cultural, social, and technology sectors. Our ideal candidate brings a structured approach to creative application development, collaborating closely with experience designers, media producers, and strategists. You are comfortable moving between software frameworks and take a “prototyping-first” approach across a range of capabilities such as data visualizations, games, interactive narratives, and immersive installations.
What You’ll Do
- Iteratively build and test production-ready software experiences
- Develop prototypes to explore and advance experience concepts, test technical approaches, and benchmark performance
- Gather, understand, and author application requirements in order to create build plans
- Facilitate R&D efforts and pilot new technologies
What We Require
- 2-4+ years working as a creative developer in a client services environment
- Demonstrated experience using Python, Django, and Flask.
- Familiarity with C++, ideally using Qt (preferred), openFrameworks or other comparableframeworks
- Familiarity with inclusive design best practices and accessibility standards
- An unflappable team player with an experimental and growth mindset
- Experience working with designers and a solid understanding of user experience
- Ability to communicate in a clear and simple manner
What We Offer
Upswell offers a salary commensurate with experience. Our benefits include:
- Flexible office/work-from-home policy (this position is fully remote under COVID19 conditions)
- Full health and vision insurance
- 401k retirement plan with company matching
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, including: 10 vacation days the first year, and 1 additional day per year after, for up to 15 days total; 5 days sick leave; 6 company holidays; 5 days off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
Who We Are
Upswell creates experiences that stimulate different ways of seeing, understanding, and engaging with the urgent topics of our time. We work on 21st century challenges related to civic engagement, the public humanities, education, climate change, and technology innovation. We’ve worked internationally with world-class institutions and organizations such as the Library of Congress (Washington, DC), the Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY), the International Center of Photography (New York, NY), the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (Winnipeg, Canada), the Canadian Museum of History (Ottawa, Canada), the Canadian War Museum (Ottawa, Canada), Mobius Science Center (Spokane, WA), NOKIA (Helsinki, Finland), Adobe (San Francisco, CA), Intel Labs (Hillsboro, OR), the University of Arizona Archaeological Mapping Lab (Tucson, AZ), Clemson University (Greenville, SC), the Chrysler Museum of Art (Norfolk, VA), and the Oregon Historical Society (Portland, OR).
How To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, résumé/cv, and website and/or LinkedIn profile to careers@hello- upswell.com, with “Creative Application Developer” in the subject line.