Location: Brooklyn NY, USA or Seattle WA, USA
Category: Art Director
Who We Are
Schema is a research and design firm. We focus on the intersection of content and data to create meaningful and engaging experiences. We are experts in the areas of interaction design, visual design, and data visualization, and approach every project from a human-centered perspective. We collaborate closely with our clients — corporations, organizations, and innovative startups that care deeply about design to engage, inform and empower. We work across a broad spectrum of media, from websites and mobile applications to physical installations. Our process is collaborative, hands-on, and iterative. We emphasize dialogue and prototyping as methods for inquiry, discovery and validation.
What We Offer
You’ll join a tight knit, passionate team of professionals who left their roles at agencies, corporations, and institutions to tackle challenging and meaningful problems together. We offer the creative freedom to develop innovative design solutions, concepts, and strategies at the intersection of content and data. The work environment is fast-paced and collaborative—we thrive on and support the diversity of our individual talents and perspectives. We offer profit share, as well as a competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan.
You will lead teams of designers and technologists at the forefront of data-driven design and research. You’ll be accountable for projects and client relationships. You have an understanding of interaction design methods and human-centered design, as well as exacting standards for typography and visual communication. You’ll guide hiring and resourcing decisions, drive new business opportunities, and ensure that our work maintains the highest standards of interaction design, data visualization, and visual communication. You’ll help direct the design vision at Schema and become a strong voice in our ongoing research at the intersection of design, technology, and culture.
This is an exciting opportunity to take on a leadership role in a multidisciplinary, award-winning design and technology firm with forward-thinking clients. You will work at our head office in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, or at our New York studio in Dumbo, Brooklyn.
- An inspiring, motivational leader with deep experience and demonstrated thought leadership in digital design
- 5+ years of experience at a design firm, on an in-house team, or as an independent designer
- Graduate degree in Graphic Design, Communication Design, Interaction Design, or a related field
- An exceptional portfolio that demonstrates originality, conceptual thinking, and thoughtful execution
- Demonstrated ability to turn ambiguous design problems into concrete solutions
- Experience with UX/UI design
- Experience designing data visualizations is a plus
- Experience with ethnographic research and translating research outcomes into design strategies, usecases and taskflows
- Experience facilitating concept ideation and participatory design workshops with clients and end-users
- Excellent communicator and skilled, confident presenter with the ability to lead client meetings and present at conferences and events
- Ability to lead multiple ongoing projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Fluent with Figma and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- Collaborative leadership style with the ability to lead and mentor teams of designers and technologists
- Familiarity with coding and content management systems is a plus
- Exceptional professionalism and integrity
How To Apply:
Please apply using this link: https://schema.breezy.hr/p/61349912fba6/apply