Location: Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, Portland, US
Gensler’s Digital Experience Design (DXD) practice is positioned at the intersection of physical and digital design and is focused on the creation of immersive experiences, hybrid workplace experiences, and connected urban experiences. Our teams are located across the globe and are comprised of seasoned multi-disciplinary generalists and specialists. While our backgrounds are diverse, we have a common passion and commitment for creating innovative and empowering human-centered experiences that improve the world around us.
As a Lead Software Technologist, you will be working as part of a global, production-focused team, that facilitates the delivery of immersive and connected experiences for the built environment. With a software focus, you bridge the gap between the digital and physical worlds, working with our design teams and production partners to ensure our projects are realized to their fullest potential.
You are a seasoned technologist with full-stack expertise that allows you to navigate the complex technology landscape of the built environment with confidence. You understand the deep relationship between software and hardware and what it takes to ensure the realization of a design as intended. You have experience delivering permanent installations that are designed to run with minimal intervention. You enjoy leading small, specialized, software teams and are committed to their growth and health. You are a systems thinker with a critical eye and strong problem-solving skills. And you find opportunity and passion in complex and ever-changing challenges and want to work with a diverse team of experts delivering world-class projects.
What You Will Do:
- Work closely with a Lead Hardware Technologist and Technical Producer to:
- Shepherd our projects from design, production, and through successful installation
- Properly scope projects in terms of budget, staffing, process, and timeline
- Validate the feasibility and efficiency of production planning
- Determine the appropriate partners per specific project needs
- Oversee installation and transition projects to our Support & Maintenance team
- Partner with the Production Management Services, Content Services, and Support & Maintenance Services teams to design and deliver holistic production solutions
- Lead small software teams through a test-driven software development lifecycle
- Serve as the primary software architect on your project teams
- Work directly with client IT and ITS teams in support of technical compliance
- Work with specialty agencies and partners to augment internal software teams
- Occasional travel to supervise the integration of projects throughout the U.S., Canada, and abroad (post pandemic)
We seek experienced technologists with a balanced understanding of frontend and backend software development. The following recommended skills will help contribute to your success at Gensler:
- 10+ years of production software development experience
- 7+ years of leading software development teams and managing direct reports
- 7+ years of experience architecting full-stack software solutions across collocated and cloud environments
- 7+ years of experience scoping software production projects
- Experience developing and running technical project management processes
- Experience leading teams through a test-driven development lifecycle
- Experience architecting frontend solutions for modern web, native applications, AR/VR or comparable technologies
- Familiarity architecting frontend solutions utilizing accelerated graphics applications (TouchDesigner, Notch, OpenFrameworks, Cinder or comparable technologies)
- Experience working with modern headless CMS solutions
- Familiarity architecting cloud solutions with AWS or Azure: serverless functions, database design, REST & GraphQL API design, access control, etc.
- Experience with collocated Windows and Linux servers and operational understanding of typical IT and security policies found in corporate environments
- Experience integrating systems commonly found throughout the built environment such as, sensors, lighting systems, audio systems, supervisory control systems, building management systems, or comparable systems
- Familiarity implementing Infrastructure as Code, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Experience with GitHub, Jira, Confluence
- Familiarity with Asana or comparable tools
- A passionate self-starter
- Responsible, independent, and organized
- A clear and concise communicator
Life at Gensler:
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military, and veteran status, or other protected category under the law. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability you may contact us here. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.
How To Apply:
Please apply on Workday here: